North Gate Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2010   #1

louisville, Colorado
North Gate Canyon?

Hey just wondering. Never floated through North Gate canyon. Is it do able in a 16 ft Aire cat? Friend of mine wants to fish that section at the end of June and was askin me if we could get through without much trouble.

sprechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I doubt there will be enough water at the end of June for Northgate, but you may be able to float the section below the Bennet peaks takeout and above Saratoga. I know they fish that section, but I have no experience in that area.
Old 05-12-2010   #3

Summit County, Colorado
What about Northgate before the end of June in a 16' cat? Will the flows get big enough to take that boat down? We also have a 13' raft. We've never done it and just curious. Thanks for any info in advance. Happy boating!
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've run it twice, both around 1000cfs, and both in 14' boats. It was no problems at that level. I imagine you'd be able to get a 13' raft down there as low as 500 or so, but that's sheer speculation. It all hinges on your low water experience, and how much you loath getting stuck. I boated the Ark in 2002, commercially running the Royal Gorge as low as 196 cfs, so I have a warped definition of "low water" and "runnable."

As to the 16' cat, when I saw it at 1000cfs it was definitely big enough for a 16' cat. Below that, your guess is as good as mine.

Oh!! Almost forgot- if you have the time, take out further down than 6-mile gap. That takeout SUCKS!! If I remember correctly, it's like a third of a mile straight up a mountainside. The Forest Service has some information posted.

It's a beautiful trip! Good luck!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #5

louisville, Colorado
Thanks for the replies. I've done the lower sections below the canyon, and you are correct, that 6 mile gap is not fun.
sprechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #6

Louisville, Colorado
sprechen,
Apparently we are neighbors? We should meet. Maybe we already have?
Anyway, I think you can get 16' cat down at more than 2k, but probably not easily below that. 13 boat can get down at 1k - 600 cfs but there are lots of rocks to hang up on getting to the 6 mile take out. Doubt there would be 2k at the end of June. There are other take out options for a single day that involve paying for a private access (I just heard about this at AAA inflatables so I don't heve details).We have been wanting to get up there for the past couple weeks, but it keeps snowing so the flow hasn't come up.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #7

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i can't remember what it was when we floated it the 4th week in june last year, but i would guess somewhere b/w 1k and 1.5k. my 13' boat was no problem. the one constriction that might present a problem for a 16' boat is narrow falls. that one might be tough even at high water in that big of a craft. if you have a 13' to use, i'd take that one.
Old 05-12-2010   #8

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A few years ago, there was a 18 ft cat in our group and I seem to remember it running in the 1400 to 1500 range. He had no problems with not enough water or too much width in the tight spots. That being said, I wouldn't want to run it much lower than.
Old 05-13-2010   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
At the moment, the road to 6 mile is covered up in snow and pretty much impassable. That road turns to grease when it gets wet, and you WILL get stuck.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #10

How is the road to Bennet Peak campground? Any possibility of getting in and out next weekend?
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote