North Fork Payette Cataraft Footage - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-06-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
North Fork Payette Cataraft Footage

I've uploaded about a dozen clips from last weekend:
jmcdannel's Channel - YouTube

Polished (amateur) edits with music will follow - if I ever find time.

jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Nice!
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Well done, it appeared you had some smooth lines. Just curious, I am a kayaker not at all familiar with catarafts, and was wondering what are the two straps hanging into the water for, one from the front of each tube?

Lenny.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearDog View Post
Well done, it appeared you had some smooth lines. Just curious, I am a kayaker not at all familiar with catarafts, and was wondering what are the two straps hanging into the water for, one from the front of each tube?

Lenny.
Easier to grab the boat if you swim.
Old 09-07-2011   #5

Boise, Idaho
@GearDog - yeah, we call those tag lines. They give you something to grab if you go in the water. It also makes it easier to grab a boat from shore and pull it in. We have a hard time catching those micro eddies sometimes. Most cat-boaters who run tag lines run one on each tip (4). Many of us also run one on each side. The side lines also serve as a pre-deployed flip line and make reflip much quicker than the bagged flip lines you tie to the frame.
--Josh
Old 09-07-2011   #6

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Thank you for filming

JM thanks for sharing the cat video. Being out of area I was hoping you/someone could answer a couple questions.

1.What class is that river/section considered.
2.Is that the only run for a raft.
3.What size cat are you driving.
4. The water apeared clowdy, I assumed the Payette was crystal clear.

Anyway thank you for sharing hoping to get there this next season.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
1. Class V. In 15 miles, there are 18 named class V rapids, many of them are over 1/2 mile long. In between, there are a lot of class III and IV unnamed features. The wide angle lens on the camera really flattens out the river and doesn't give a very accurate portrayal of how big it is in there. But then again, camera's never do. Unless you're a stellar photographer. check out these photos from 2 years ago: Catarafting North Fork of the Payette River in Idaho, photos by Mike Reid, Idaho Whitewater. - All Outdoor Photography by Mike Reid, Boise Wedding and Outdoor Portrait Photographer

2. Not sure what you mean. There are several different runs in the payette river system that range from class II through V. The north fork from smiths ferry to banks (where that footage is from) is not run very often by rafts. There were two very very talented boaters there last weekend that R2'd top to bottom. I didn't see them, but I did see them last year. Very impressive. Check out Steve Stuebner's guide: Bookstore You can buy each section for $.99 as a digital download.

3. 12.5' x 22.5" Sotar Legend. Legends (and their predecessor prototypes) and Wave Destroyers are the cat of choice up there. You don't often see other types of cats.

4. The north fork payette is dam fed from lake cascade. It travels through a valley will a lot of agricultural and cattle operations, picking up a fair amount of cow piss and who-knows-what-else. I constantly spit the water out if I get it in my mouth. It's still fairly clean. It may appear cloudy, but a lot of that is because it's very aerated. 100+ fpm churns the hell out of it. The good thing is that the water is very warm - probably the warmest water I've ever run. The south fork payette is different. It too has a dam fed tributary, but the water from that dam comes from way deep in the reservoir. Cascade lake by comparison is shallow and large and the water warms up considerably there. The south fork is much more clear. Above lowman, the south fork has a glacial teal color to it most of the year. Once the deadwood river enters, it becomes cold and clear until the confluence.
Old 09-07-2011   #8

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
J Mc, thanks for the return post. A group of us retired guys are headed that way next season. Trying to figure out where to go in ID first. Although capable of V, Not sure Im wanting a long swim in V. recieved a new hip last year and trying to learn my new limitations.

The other guys are pretty banged up Tier I army guy's now retired, with trashed backs, or legs or? from flaming in from 30.000.
Truthfully we're Lookin for good fun water maybe IV with one or 2 V's, but not 18 V's or 1/2 mile possible swims

Thank you for sharing.
Dirk Williams
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #9

Boise, Idaho
Dirk - check out the staircase and canyon runs on the SF Payette. They are high quality class IV runs.
Old 09-07-2011   #10

Boise, Idaho
J - the law of the North Fork for kayakers is "thou shalt not swim." Granted, it happens and from time to time people even survive it, but most people realize if you boat the North Fork, you don't want to be swimming.

How does that factor in with catarafting. Obviously there is a bit more stability and hole punching ability with a cat, but it seems to me easier to fall in and swim than in a kayak. What's the mindset for a cat boater going into a run like the NF?
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft