North Fork of The Payette Labor Day Weekend, Vid - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-06-2011   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
North Fork of The Payette Labor Day Weekend, Vid

had a great time running the North Fork this last weekend.. flow was on the lower side of things just missed the 2 G by a week but for september 1400-1600 is awsome. There is probably not a whole lot of other runs that can even come close in comparison.. I picked up a Remix 69 on my way, outfitted it the next morning and dived right in to a top to bottom, little carnage in our group at Jaws I, other than that we had a great time and I got to lay treats on Jacobs Ladder. Sunday woke up drove from the sick boaters camp to Banks Cafe(killer place to eat) and meet my buddy Austin Rathman for a Swinging Bridge down lap since he worked at one. We pushed off at about 10:30 the boys took out after houndstooth and I was able to catch a crew no more than 4 minutes later to run the Lower 5. Banks is a great place to check out if you have never been there. great camping, good peole, and great whitewater. Cant wait to make it back to run the rest of the goods in the area and the North Fork at a good level. and bring a Remix those things are auto programmed for the North Fork.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011   #2

Boise, Idaho
Good to hear you had a good time! It was mad busy up there this weekend.

Some of my homies ventured over to your area and ran Quake Lake and dropped Mesa Falls. They had a blast.

Banks is the epicenter; and definitely agree with you about the Remix.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #3

Bozeman, Montana
that wouldnt make for a bad weekend at all. dude Im stoked to be the new owner of a Remix 69 sick boat hopefully get into a stomper shortly to give a good comparison on all three the things i like about the Remix, less rocker means more speed and little easier to roll compared to a jefe or grande, you sit nice high and dry, easy to control in vertical positions, great secondary stabability, very balanced, killer outfitting like how the brackets are cut so you can just flip up the back band for access into the stern. For never using a Remix to paddling straight into it i thought the boat was really easy to get the hang of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
Did you see anyone with a Stomper up there? I know two people that have them that were paddling this weekend, but I still haven't heard any beta from them about how they like it.

Your video is sick, by the way. Never seen such clear footage the whole edit. Love the boof at 5:30.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #5

Bozeman, Montana
thanks man little long specially at the end but whatever.. i liked the entire run personally all of it was so good. kinda makes me want to move there!
Old 09-06-2011   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Dang, I thought it was quiet there compared to prior years. Not many catboaters from far off, and it seemed like there were practically no kayakers around either. From what I understand of the guys that live there it is usually at those flows right before/around Labor Day. I think this deterred a few catboaters, unsure if it would really come down and not willing to make long drives with the potential to be stuck to the Lower 5.
Old 09-06-2011   #7

Bozeman, Montana
speaking of there was a group of catboaters that came up right behind us when we were scouting Jacobs and sltyed the shit in front of us than we watched as a raft R'2d that shit. pretty awsome weekend
Old 09-06-2011   #8

at my house, Montana
Dave Nissen (madcatr) on the Sotar and Mark Cramer on the Aire. The Ponds might have been with on that run also. The R2 guys are from Portland, Dan and Jeff. They had carnage last year and were happy to redeem themselves.

I can tell where you start (slide, can see my nemesis pourover from last year and the drops I was in the water during) but was wondering if you can tell me which entrance is which after that? I haven't been through the whole video, but would love to see the entrance to Jaws 1. Hopefully I recognize Screaming left (easy to do with the rocks/holes and island) which is right before it. I got beat down Friday, so didn't get anywhere close to what I did last year. I have lots of training to do before next. Even though your perspective is so much lower than a cat, I like your POV for seeing the features. Cat POV almost always looks really flat.

Oh yeah, damn nice boating and video.

Wow, nice perspective of Rock Drop in Jakes (I think). It looks even worse from where you eddied out than scouting. I'm pretty darn sure I'll never ever see that. Who is the artist at that point, I know I've heard it, but can't recall.
Old 09-06-2011   #9

at my house, Montana
Entrance drop to Jaws 1 at 11:17???
Old 09-06-2011   #10

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Gotta represent the catarafters with some videos of my own: jmcdannel's Channel - YouTube
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote