North Carolina - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2006   #1

North Carolina

Hey,
what's the Mountainbuzz-equivalent for North Carolina?

FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006   #2

Boatertalk.com

It's nowhere near as tight a community as this and you'll have to weed through a lot of crap at times but there's some good information there.
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #3

Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yes mountainbuzz is very crap free.. But that is what makes it great..
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006   #4

NC

Is anyone from CO going out there, too? I'm planning to stay all fall. Need connections to start with.
FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
If you're planning on going to NC to run the shit, I'd recommend finding people before you go. Seems like the NC crew is much less likely than CO people to take someone sitting at the putin down. They're not snobs, just tight knit crews. Not sure how things are at the class III/IV runs.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #6
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
you'll want to pick up one of these: http://www.nccreeks.com/

email me when you get here and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

what kind of stuff will you be looking to run?

fall is usually dam release sutff, lotsa weekends on the Gauley, and waiting for tropical storms - of which there have been a lot in the last few years.

not a bad time to come for Green, Cheoah, Tallulah, Ocoee on releases, and more with rains.

it's all in the book so you can start making a list of what you want to hit...

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Just to echo JC he is dead on about how people are out there with tight crews out there. Its not that they are going to be rude or selfrighteous its just how they are. I can remember sitting for a while at the takeout of the green trying to get a shuttle up with someone. Nearly every crew told me that they were going to keep a fast pace and did not have time to show me the ins and outs. Basically they were doing laps. I can respect that. It may have been that I was paddling a Prijon "Gambler" at the time. What kind of name is that for a creek boat? (I worked at a paddle shop and that was the only creek boat i could take from the rental pool)

So anyway try to hook up with someone that is out there. Add the chattoga to your list as well. it may not be the hardest but it is a classic with amazing beauty to it.

ben
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #8

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I think people are sometimes reluctant to take on strangers down the Green because even though it is short, it is very committing and any problems are quickly a big deal. I have several friends who have agreed to take a stranger down and they sent him walking back out after he swam in the eddy between the boof and the undercut at Frankenstein. They later learned from someone at the takout that this guy had "literally swam in every single rapid on the Green" but kept coming back anyway.

One other thing is that small groups are better and if you go from 4 to 5 people, you usually split into two groups. On easier water, you won't have any problem finding people to take you down, esp. if you belong on that river. How do you know if you belong on that river? Easy, just post on BoaterTalk. If you ever go to BT in the weeks prior to a Tallulah release, you'll understand - "Am I ready for the ______?" is the prototypical BT post. Good examples:

- I have run the Ocoee three times and feel pretty good everywhere, but I flipped twice at Broken Nose. Am I ready for the Tallulah?"
- I just ran the Tellico, am I ready for the Lower Gauley?
- Is the Cheoah suitable for a beginner in an inflatable?

The SE rules. Have good time.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #9

grad student
NC

check out boatingbeta.com for flow info. I just moved from NC out to CO and I'd suggest paddling easier rivers to meet people (Ocoee, Chattooga, etc.) and hang out in Asheville to find a crew to take you down the Green. It's just hard to find people at the put-in who will take someone they don't know down.
sketchyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #10

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I forgot to add that if you show up at the takeout for the Green (a.k.a. Redneck Riviera) and can tell folks what you've done previously, they will feel a lot better about taking you down. The Green is serious, esp. if you run the big three, but it's far from the hardest thing out there anymore and it's not like asking someone to show you down the Stikine. Look for a group with people who aren't going to Triple Crown because they have to wait for their peeps to walk Gorilla and Sunshine anyway.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote