Noobie looking for some advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2015   #1

woodside, New York
Noobie looking for some advice

Hey, everybody! So, I've come across this forum a lot by searching things on Google--everyone here seems so informative and friendly, so I figured I would benefit from joining!

So, I am completely new to kayaking. I have done some recreational kayaking before, but nothing serious. I am a complete adrenaline junkie and I love any kind of sport that requires intense progression. I'm usually scaling a building in NYC or bombing down hills skateboarding. This might sound strange, but the first videos I saw of white water kayaking really reminded me of the things I love to do--in a way, they are all kind of similar mentally and physically. I really can't tell you how eager and excited I am to get into this sport. Sometime mid summer, but gf and I want to plan a 3 week road trip where we kayak ( nothing too serious) a bunch of different rivers ( depending on if we are both ready).

So, right now I am looking all over craigslist and Ebay for something cheap. I am about 6 foot, and 160 pounds). From what I have read and observed, the boat I am looking for is most likely a river runner kayak, or a creek boat.

Can somebody kind of tell me the main difference between the two? Which kayak would be best for both intense rivers, and at times just some leisure kayaking on slow easy rivers?

How much should I spend on my first kayak, tops? Once I get one, I don't want to go through the whole ordeal of selling and buying another one later. I'd rather have one, and work with that one for a few years.

Any other advice or what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steveosuburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Creek boats generally have what's called a displacement hull, which stays high on the water and resurfaces quickly. Usually has little or no edge. A river runner will usually be similar in length and volume, but have a planning hull which will have a primary and usually a secondary edge. Creek boats are generally faster, but take more effort to keep straight. River Runners are easier to crank in and out of eddies and will be more capable of holding a surf.

Personally I would recommend starting with a river runner like the Burn or Mamba.

Look for a boat that is a couple seasons old, but in good shape. You should be able to find one in the $600-700 range.

I would start with a relatively inexpensive paddle...they are easy to lose. On that note, put your name and contact info in/on ALL of your gear.

Get some good dry gear. It will make a huge difference in your comfort, and thus enjoyment.

Find some local like-minded individuals and watch each others backs. Take a lesson, and some kind of swift water safety course. Good luck.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #3

woodside, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Creek boats generally have what's called a displacement hull, which stays high on the water and resurfaces quickly. Usually has little or no edge. A river runner will usually be similar in length and volume, but have a planning hull which will have a primary and usually a secondary edge. Creek boats are generally faster, but take more effort to keep straight. River Runners are easier to crank in and out of eddies and will be more capable of holding a surf.

Personally I would recommend starting with a river runner like the Burn or Mamba.

Look for a boat that is a couple seasons old, but in good shape. You should be able to find one in the $600-700 range.

I would start with a relatively inexpensive paddle...they are easy to lose. On that note, put your name and contact info in/on ALL of your gear.

Get some good dry gear. It will make a huge difference in your comfort, and thus enjoyment.

Find some local like-minded individuals and watch each others backs. Take a lesson, and some kind of swift water safety course. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the feedback, friend! Any particular Mamba or Burn I should look out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Is this guy for real?
Old 03-03-2015   #5

woodside, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Is this guy for real?

Was there an issue with my post?
Old 03-03-2015   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Used river runner or creeker, whatever you turn up that fits and works for what you want to use it on and will last at least 2-3 seasons is going to be a good investment. But don't forget you will need a helmet, PFD, decent paddle, sprayskirt (may come with the boat), and at least a good paddle jacket if not drytop, plus throwbag and eventually, pin kit plus first aid. All these can be acquired for less than retail if you work local sources, boatertalk.com, and there used to be a pretty active list for northeast paddlers, don't remember the name but I'm sure google will. Figure $1000 to get started, if you become addicted that number will double quickly...
If you want to save time and money, consider taking a weekend course on the Deerfield (MA) or some other river in your backyard and see if the sport is really for you. You'll know pretty quickly if you're still stoked after your first long, cold, scary swim... with a 500# boat for company! (Hang on to your paddle...)
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Boater talk is a great place to find all sorts of gear. Remember to look here on the buzz in the classified section as well.
There are plenty of rivers out east that are really close to each other. I learned to Kayak in ohiopyle Pennsylvania on the Lower Yough, and I believe still to this day it's the best spot to learn how to boat.
Know your limits and don't let anybody bring you down with questions you may ask. I suggest as others have that a beginning course for kayaking or a swift water course should really be thought of.
Dry gear is an absolute must. Most people quit kayaking cause they are cold and wet. You will swim, it's part of the progression and staying dry or moderately dry will make you just want to continue more and more.
A dagger mamba is what you want to be looking for in a kayak. The models that they have go on how tall you are and how much you weigh, find your numbers and start looking for that boat. The 7.5 for old models and 7.6 for newer models are the smallest size, it goes up from there.
It can be overwhelming at first with all the gear you will eventually need, make a list and get after it! I hope this helps a little.

Victor

Woke up this morning at 10:13.
Old 03-04-2015   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveosuburbs View Post
Well for one, you said people on this forum are friendly and well informed.

I'll throw in a twist to the advice above. For someone who's coming in with an aggressive attitude to pick up the sport, learn, and not afraid of falling down a few times, I think you're better served by getting a playboat for your first boat. Even if you think you don't want one, you actually do. After a couple years, get a creekboat/river runner. You don't really need the features of a creekboat early on unless you just want to make everything easier and more forgiving. In a playboat you'll learn better body position and edge control, which will serve you well through your entire paddling career.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #9
Donkey Punch

Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
D-BAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveosuburbs View Post
No there is nothing wrong with your post. There are just a bunch of smartasses on this site, me being one of them. Feel free to give it right back! Gotta have a sense of humor and not get butt hurt in the boating community.
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
I will second the above. I started off with a Dagger G-force playboat for $200... pretty unstable little fucker but that just made me be a bit more choosy about my lines. I've been learning in that boat for the past 3 seasons, and I'm glad because it didn't make me rely on my boat for stability it made me rely on my own skills. Still can't roll very well but I've developed a good brace
I also just got into a Burn 2 for Christmas for a little over $300. I think it's going to be a good transition from my playboat because it still has good edges and I should be able to handle pretty well.
I guess all I'm saying, from one noob to another, is that the boat is really only part of the equation. So much of it depends on you. Find a boat that fits, or is at least semi-comfortable, and affordable and then learn to paddle the shit out of that boat... then be picky about what you buy.