nOOb with some ?'s - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2014   #1

SW Co, Colorado
nOOb with some ?'s

Hello all! New join here with a few questions. This is my first season in WW kayaking and while Im slowly acquiring all the required gear and getting my feet wet Im looking for some advice on what exactly I should be looking to acquire. I purchased a used EZG 43 and have been working on getting my roll down and did my first down-river float today in it. My first question is, did I purchase a good or decent boat for a noob? A few people have told me I should of got a creek boat or something less edgy for a beginner boat. I stayed upright today although I did find myself going down river sideways a few times and took some waves over the bow but never felt tippy. My other question is how important or valuable is a private lesson or two for progression? I remember when I first got into fly-fishing and after several weeks of frustration trying to learn it on my own with the help of books and youtube, I finally hired a guide and learned more in a half day than I think I would of all year on my own. Thanks for any and all advice.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
You have a fine beginner boat. As for lessons, do you have anyone who is willing to show you the ropes and paddle around on class II and III-? If so, I wouldn't worry about lessons. If not, they may be a good investment.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
EZG is a great boat to learn in, but everyone has a different style so what works for someone else may not work for you. If it seems like its working for you, stick with it! As long as you're not at the upper end of the weight range for that model, you can do great in it. I initially started in an RPM, which is an old displacement (round) hull boat which is more like a creeker with a catchy stern than a playboat. I was really struggling to make progress with that boat and was constantly ending up upside down unintentionally and blowing past eddies. I picked up an EZG and really started to make progress and enjoy boating and was running easy class IV's in it in my second season. I learned to use and enjoy the edges, catch eddies, surf, etc. The edges can be your enemy, but they're also you're friend and you'll miss them when they're gone. After a few different boats, I'm now back in a WS Fuse (not significantly different than the EZG, just a couple insignificant differences) as my non-creeker and won't be looking for anything different any time soon. Ignore the FUD, do what seems to work for you. If you feel like you're getting pushed around too much or ending up vertical or catching edges, demo a river runner like a Mamba or a Diesel or Zen or Remix or Burn, but those still have edges. If you like it better, do it. I wouldn't recommend learning in a displacement hull boat like the Nomad or Jefe, smaller edgier boats can be a lot more fun on the easier rivers you'll be running for a few years. Save those for when you're looking at getting into gnarly (IV+ & V) creeking.
roberts81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Check out coloradowhitewater.org for both lessons and for "river cruises" and similar outings where you can meet other boaters. (Not all are for beginners so make sure you pick those that are). Also Confluence Kayaks & Renaissance Adventure Guides teach lessons and probably others. Lessons are worthwhile. Lots of practice on easy stuff trying to make it hard by catching every eddy, surfing little waves and holes, and doing ferries and attainments is the best thing you can do to get used to your boats dynamics in currents.
roberts81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #5

Buena Vista, CO
Send a message via AIM to Rocky Mtn Outdoor Center
Kayak Lessons

Sounds like you are off to a good start on your boating. If you are willing to make the drive up to the Arkansas River Valley you could check out the Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center. We offer private lessons as well as group lessons, all from a certified ACA instructor. Click Here to check out our paddle school. Have fun and be safe out there!
Rocky Mtn Outdoor Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #6

SW Co, Colorado
Thanks for the replies! I did my second trip today down the upper San Miguel valley floor in telluride. I did go upside down once due to trying to avoid a paddle boarder and my bow caught a tree and turned me sideways and over, but I was able to recover as the water was only about a foot deep. I'm 5'6 150 and my feet are cramped and tops of them are actually raw from rubbing on the bow. I usually wear some wool sock but forgot them today...
It was a blast still and certainly an adrenaline rush but did feel out of control often having to navigate skinny water and dodge obstacles. Thanks Roberts and rmoc for the info- I'll definitely check into those.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #7

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Thanks for the replies! I did my second trip today down the upper San Miguel valley floor in telluride. I did go upside down once due to trying to avoid a paddle boarder and my bow caught a tree and turned me sideways and over, but I was able to recover as the water was only about a foot deep. I'm 5'6 150 and my feet are cramped and tops of them are actually raw from rubbing on the bow. I usually wear some wool sock but forgot them today...
It was a blast still and certainly an adrenaline rush but did feel out of control often having to navigate skinny water and dodge obstacles. Thanks Roberts and rmoc for the info- I'll definitely check into those.
IRS Basic Neoprene Socks
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Slash welcome to the river world. We have a group of dedicated riverrats located in the Montrose area that does riverruns every weekend and some weekdays. We have lots of different skill levels doing many rivers and runs, but mostly fun Class III. Glad to put you on our list, and lead you to other mentors to help you become a better paddler. Gunnerman is my rivername and 970-497-6512 is my contact. Can paddle just about anytime.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote