Nomad verses Habitat feedback - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2007   #1

Student
Nomad verses Habitat feedback

Can folks chime in on the pros and cons of both, I'm interested in the larger sizes. All feedback welcome. thanks.

atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007   #2

I haven't paddled the Habitat but I've paddled most of the modern creekers out there and paddled the Nomad as my main creeker for a while. I now paddle a Burn but I liked the Nomad so much it was really a toss-up. If went back to buy my boat again ten times, I'd probably end up with the Burn 5 times and the Nomad 5 times, if you know what I mean.

The Nomad: It's the most stable boat out there. Awesome primary and even better secondary. It doesn't quite auto-boof but it's damn close. It has amazing tracking and a very subtle edge just above waterline so you can get a bit of a carve in to eddies when you want to. Surfaces really well. It's got good speed and it turns well though not quite as quickly as the Burn and Rocker. Surf's well and is good at working your way out of a hole when you get stuck (not hole bait like the Rocker). I really can't say enough good things about the Nomad. It's a sick boat!

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Paddled the nomad 8.5 before they fixed the seat, and now have the newer version where they fixed the seat. The stern access is much better than before and is not an issue anymore. They foamed out under the seat to try and fix the hull wear issue along with the seat redesign. Seems to be working so far. I've really been enjoying the nomad.

The big nomad feels pretty fast and holds a line well when driven. Its a stable boat that inspires confidence and rewards aggressive paddling. I think its a classic displacement hull creeker that works very well.

My only complaint about the nomad is that the standard plastic gets destroyed by rocks and I find myself wishing I had a rotomolded boat like the prijons. Its not a dagger thing, its the standard plastic thing. My dream boat would be a nomad hull made out of prijon plastic.

Never tried the habitat.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007   #4

Atom-
Good to see that you could stop pukin' long enough to make a post, how was the Hunt?
The habbitat is the bomb. I have already broken one, however I think it was a demo, and I know that WS puts less plastic in their demos. I bought a big one for my replacement and it is hands down the best boat I've ever boated. It boofs like a champ, even when I don't, it surfaces very well and it is so predictiable. I like the storage and the speed is real real fast. I'm a little bias I guess because I love WS, but the boat rock the house.

2cents
Old 07-10-2007   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
My dream boat would be a nomad hull made out of prijon plastic.
Hell Yeah. I would definitely spend full retail on that boat.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #6

I know this is an old post but does anyone have any new info on these boats? Also the burn? What are your favorites? Is a nomad 8.1 big enough for a 210 5'11 size 11 shoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Paddled the nomad 8.5 before they fixed the seat, and now have the newer version where they fixed the seat. The stern access is much better than before and is not an issue anymore. They foamed out under the seat to try and fix the hull wear issue along with the seat redesign. Seems to be working so far. I've really been enjoying the nomad.

The big nomad feels pretty fast and holds a line well when driven. Its a stable boat that inspires confidence and rewards aggressive paddling. I think its a classic displacement hull creeker that works very well.

My only complaint about the nomad is that the standard plastic gets destroyed by rocks and I find myself wishing I had a rotomolded boat like the prijons. Its not a dagger thing, its the standard plastic thing. My dream boat would be a nomad hull made out of prijon plastic.

Never tried the habitat.
rogerL1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
8.1 is definitely too small for you. You'll want the big one. In fact you'll want the big size for just about any creekboat. The most popular seem to be Jackson (Mega)Rocker or (Super)Hero, LL Jefe (Grande), in addition to what you mentioned. There are others though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerL1961 View Post
I know this is an old post but does anyone have any new info on these boats? Also the burn? What are your favorites? Is a nomad 8.1 big enough for a 210 5'11 size 11 shoe?
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #8

Skywalker Construction, LLC
Nomad 8.5!!!!

I recently paddled a number of new creek boats on class V and my Nomad 8.5 is still my favorite. After paddling the Habitat 80 I felt that it could use more volume in the stern. I moved the seat all the way forward but was still getting stern squirted in stuff that my nomad would not have. my 2 cents.
HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #9

did you also try the Burn out? How did it feel?

Do you think a 8.5 is better than the 8.1.....Does the extra length seem to help or hurt. Do you notice a big difference when trying to make a quick turn?
rogerL1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Roger, at your weight, the 8.5 is what you want.

I like mine; its a great design, though kinda leaky
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote