Nomad 8.1 Seat Adjustment...Need Serious help...please! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-28-2005   #1

Nomad 8.1 Seat Adjustment...Need Serious help...please!

I got some serious problems trying to adjust my Nomad seat. I've gotten the pics from Matt (thanks Matt) but still having diffuculty. I have a 2005 version of the Nomad, so not sure if things have changed or not. I'm trying to move my seat 1 inch forward. I took out all the screws as prescribed. But my seat won't slide forward more than 1/2 inch or so. The problem is the lip of the seat (towards the bow of the boat in front of the water bottle holder) is hitting the bottom of the plastic pillar, and not allowing me to side it further foward, again I need to be able to slide it about 1/2 inch more. So I've thought of possible options. I could cut some of the front foam pillat out, and move the entire plastic pillar / step thing forward to give me clearance. Or I could notch out the seat a little to give me clearance that way. I'm leaning towards notching out the seat, because if you shove the plastic pillar further forward it puts more stress on the hull, and doesn't fit right. Please, any suggestions would greatly help. Thanks

Mike

mfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005   #2

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
A notch in the seat would be easiest. That is the route I would go.

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #3

Have you seen this problem before with the older 2004 Nomads? I had buddies that moved there seat about 1.5 inches in the 04 version and didn't have issues. Maybe the 05's have a little different design. What type of tool do you think would be best to make the notch with. I have a dremel tool with a little cutting disk that might work. Any structural implecations by notching the seat? Thanks Hobie.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005   #4

I wish I could get my hands on er' for a bit. I could do it for you.

hobie
Old 04-28-2005   #5

Yeah that would be cool. Your not in denver though anymore, right?
I think I can get it, just a little frustrating. Do you agree though, that moving the seat an inch or so, makes the boat boof, and turn better?
Old 04-28-2005   #6

No, im back in the mountains. And yes, moving the seat will help if you need it. Im a bit taller (and fatter) so it is fine where it is for me. The dremel will work well. Cut lil' bits at a time, you can always remove more. I have not however found anyone that needed it moved further forward then about that 1/2 inch. That small move will make a big difference if you find it is a bit big for you..

hobie
Old 04-28-2005   #7

Well hmm. I actually haven't paddled the boat yet. I'm 5'9, 160, so the boat definetly fits good. It just sounds like other people have had really good results, so that is why I am keen on doing it now while I have time. Once the creeks start going it's on, and I didn't want to take time out to fix the seat, especially if I'm outta town. I just hate boats that squirt (had a bad experience with the Phat), and want to do whatever I can to prevent that. So you think I should just move it the 1/2 inch, or go for the full inch. Is it bad if the stern sits a little bit more out of the water than the bow? thanks Hobie
Old 04-28-2005   #8

I would go 1/2 inch and then paddle it. To be honest I would have paddled it first. It may be just perfect for you.

hobie
Old 04-28-2005   #9

yeah I kinda started thinking that, about halfway thru the project. I'll just do the 1/2 inch and call it good, cause I am towards the upper weight limit for the 8.1. Thanks

Mike
Old 04-28-2005   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
Mike,

Sounds like I'm about your height and about 10lbs lighter. I got a Nomad 8.1 two weeks ago. Got it on the water right away, and it felt a little stern heavy (I tend to have a bunch of stuff in my boat). So moved the seat up 3/4" and paddled it again last weekend. Water was bigger and pushier and it felt just about perfect. I plan on giving it another day or two paddling before I decide if that's where I really want it.

Also, not sure if I have an '04 or '05 model, but I did have to use a crowbar, hammer, and other tools to move the seat forward since I didn't have any help at the time. It would nice if by design you could easily adjust the seat position..

Good luck!
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote