NF Poudre (Upper) flow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2011   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
NF Poudre (Upper) flow?

Thinking about running up there for a day this weekend. Anybody taken a look at the levels?

Also, will a local comment on the snowpack for it's headwaters? I seem to recall that it's headwaters are at a lot lower elevation than the main Poudre and it seems like we only got the big snowpack up high this year.

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011   #2

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
There is snowpack up there (see Deadman SNOTEL), maybe more than last year, but maybe not quite in the right places, and certainly not what's on the divide.

Little South should go good this year. The upper canyon will likely get out of hand for a while.

-Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to yogi
Gateway

I don't know how this relates precisely, but notes posted this morning at Gateway indicate 510 cfs coming from the North Fork.

Does this mean 510 is being released from the dam and does this indicate that about 510 is coming into the reservoir?
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011   #4

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
Does this mean 510 is being released from the dam and does this indicate that about 510 is coming into the reservoir?
Yes if the res is full, otherwise maybe... could be more or less... last week we had close to 500 outflow but only 250 inflow (estimated by someone who boated it). Only one way to be sure

-Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #5

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I'm not smart enough to find the gauge you guys are talking about since it isn't on EF but I was on it Sunday putting on about 2:00 and it had enough water and I would call it a low/medium flow. If you are smart enough to find the gauge that sounds like it is below the lake you could compare flows from last Sun to whenever you want to run it. Might give you some idea.
Old 05-26-2011   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to yogi
Gateway

This gauge I speak of came in the form of a Post-It note stuck on the window of the booth at the entrance to Gateway park.
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #7

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
It looked full to me Sunday.
Old 05-26-2011   #8

We were up there on Sunday also. I have only done it a couple of times and it was definitely higher for me. One of the guys in our group who has done it multiple times said it was pretty high. The reservoir is almost up to the green gate at the take out, so it is pretty high. All the rapids are pretty much padded out and not bony at all. The first real rapid with the left entry moving right half way down at lower levels was good to go anywhere. We only walked around one tree that may have been selectively placed across the river about a mile in front of one of the landowners houses. Prob able to boat over it on the right. I think it was the railcar bridge near the beginning you had to roll over a bit to avoid cracking your noggin!

Talking with Marty it was a little lower than the high run they did last year.

Other than that fun run at that level and the rest of the trees and fences were easy to get around.

Tim
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #9

I just checked out the gauge and I would say you will have higher flows than we did on Sat of last week, which is great. The res has been spilling for a while now from what I can tell, and the gauge is a solid 100 higher than when we ran it. I thought the flows where low side of medium but it was my first time, and I am not used to the same front range mank as most! I personally wouldn't really go in there with much less than we had but whatever gets you going. Have fun.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #10

the fort, Colorado
-i'm trying to get in there this weekend, sat or sun, i've ran it before last year so know -most of the lines. Anyone who wants to join give me a call, Heath 9705815870
prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote