NF of the Slate? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-09-2004   #1

NF of the Slate?

I saw a picture yesterday in kayaking sessions magazine with Nate Elliot paddling on the North Fork of the Slate River in Colorado and was curious if anyone had more information on it. By the way they wanted $17 for that magazine at Barnes and Noble.

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004   #2

Mad Scientist/Creeker
$17 bucks! that's flippin' ridiculasss! North Fork Slate isn't so much a run as it is a no eddy super steep V+ cascade. It sort of runs parallel to Daisy Creek above Crested Butte. Kayak Session also has a deal going right now where if you are an AW member you can sign up for a year subscription for $25 and you get a free Burning Time DVD! So become an AW member today at www.americanwhitewater.org
EvanJ
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
If it's the drop(s) I think you are talking about they are not too hard to find, a stones throw from Daisy Creek. Just go up the road (upstream) a little further.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004   #4

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
doh! simulpost!
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #5

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
N.F. Slate

Tim Keggerman told me about this messy little gnar section while i was carrying(helping) his and dan hicks' kayaks up OBJ for the first descent....WILD BILL CODY had already run the "RACE PUT-IN FALLS" which are really called... you guessed it.....WILD BILL FALLS in a ducky...tim said after this i'm gonna hit the N.F. Slate.....i went lookin into it several days later and was disgusted(still am)......i told katie n. and tracy c. about it after a run thru the BLACK CANYON...they went up and ran it(SIKKOS).....you saw it on the PYRANHA videos....remember?..dig deeper...anyhow......I took nate and his cronnie(hippie hairboater) up this fall to have a wee gander....hippie guy liked it,,nate didn't...soon after(the BC had no water, and that was what they were after) they went up..... nate wanted it and ran it..hippie guy didn't want it....understandable....instead of going left up towards CASCADE CREEK(daisy creek) you go right....and at the top of the first steep hill you can hear it.....take a look......tea cup-ish....wood...congested....beautiful.....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #6

Doesn't that gorge end up about 18" wide at the bottom? I've seen it run in the vid, but was wondering if they eddied out above the thinness or if it just looks too thin from above? Just curious. BTW, I wouldn't want to have Shannon Carol entrance in Off the Deep End. jeesh.

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #7

The best I've seen it look was at peak flows 2 years ago... way high compared to the video/picture levels. Though SLIGHTLY tempted, there was no way I was really gettin in there... Oh, but wait, to answer SWARDS question.... It gets really tight at the bottom. You run it, making sure your boat is straight. Kinda like the PINCH on Big-Timber but alot harder (the line as a whole).

Paix...
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #8

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
"hippie hairboater" was our friend russell kelly who took that shot of nate in the mag. he unfortunately died this july. i still can't believe he did not run it- i know he looked at it more than a few times, and he pretty much ran it all. he would have been ok with the hairboater tag, not so sure about the hippie part though, he was probably too lazy to cut his hair. [although he did love the dead...]
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #9

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
confusion

the hippie-hairboater's name was joshua, i think... sikko climber/boater guy from the south....nate's cronnie....i knew russel k. and smoke one in his honor every run in the BLACK, the last place i saw or paddled with him.....i mean no disrespect anyhow, to joshua?
milo is offline   Reply With Quote