NF of the Payette - photos? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2005   #1

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
NF of the Payette - photos?

I have a homeboy that just moved to Boise for grad school and dropped the Lower 5 today, so I'm wondering -- anyone know where I can see some good pics of the NFP? AW doesn't really have much, the pic sorta makes Jacob's Ladder look like Royal Gorge. Cheers and thanks for any info.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005   #2

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
www.kayakidaho.com

Vince's Idaho Whitewater page http://www.myweb.cableone.net/rafter/

Doug
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #3

Boise, Idaho
Well, I can assure you that Jake's, or any of the NF, is nothing like the Royal Gorge. As with all big water ID runs pics never do any justice to the size of the rapids. The lower 5 is by far the easier section of the river and is still bigger, pushier, and more continuous (sp?) than the RG. The upper 10 is then a full on step or two up. Jake's is the stand out rapid, not that the other 20 or so are all that shabby. The river is about 20 ft wide and it starts with a very hard entrance move that leads you into back to back super powerful drops. If this were it, it would be run by everyone that paddles the upper stretches, but it is then followed by Golf Course which is .5 miles of more of the same. This section is ultra beefy. Keep in mind that this river is running 2200+ as well.

We paddle this river 4-5 times a week (it's the only thing worth running in this area right now). I always say I'm gonna get a bunch of good pics. I never do. If your buddy wants to get on the upper stuff send him my info.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005   #4

Englewood, Colorado
Thanks man - I'll tell him to check the thread and PM you if he's up, which I'm sure he will be.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 06-28-2005   #5

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey ID,

Any thouhgts on if the NF will be running in late July? Thinking about making a trip out there.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #6

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
....JAKE"S?....ROYAL GORGE? ...nope!!!! JAKE"S is as roadside as it gets!!!....pull 20 ft off the road...walk...maybe 10-12 ft, not 15 ft because you'd be swimming the messpot!!...fast, steep...NARROW....BAD rocks just below...like he said, then the GOLF COURSE....this is where i plummmmeted on my "top to bottom" attempt(lost sight of the lead MAN, hit/crashed/boofed an ugly big rock., piton'd an uglier rock and over the bars into hole #10ish...hey ID SURFER, only the river wide holes count on the golf course , right?? a beatin', a flush, a roll and ..... more of the same nanoseconds away!!!!...enjoy the NF.....i was rescued(hitchin' down to the take-out) by a "good ole boy" in an old chevy, wife beater(dirty), chew and beer in hand....all he said was,"see it all the time".......verbal beta combined with "monkey see... monkey do", 1st time "northforkin'"......good flows i think/thought.....rowdy-fun-scary-fun....bring the fastest boat you have(i don't mean the old LAZER)....i felt really slow in my 230...and don't let anybody tell you it's like,"16 miles of PINE CREEK".....you'll wish it was....don't forget to get your free potatoes at the visitor centers!!......
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Oh I know it ain't like Royal Gorge - it's just that the photo on AW didn't show anything that looked like what I imagine Jake's to be, it looked, well, like any old rapid in Royal Gorge (no road in the picture). Wish HIM fun, because I ain't gettin' in that mess anytime soon!

- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 06-28-2005   #8

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I ran the upper 5 with about 1200 cfs which was a good intro to what the N. Fork offers at high water. I can't imagine running Jakes at 2500! We went to put on the mid 5 at 1200 cfs and my buddy made us go back to camp for his poggies....when we got there it started storming and hailing and we opted to fish for salmon instead.....never got to run it after that. Maybe it was a sign...an omen maybe. Jake's looks stompin and juicy + the Golf Course! Hey ID....do you know Dave Chamberlain??? Ran many runs out there with him....used to work for one of the outfits. Russell Kelly used to be a regular freak up there....RIP.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #9

Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force
Hey ID,

Any thouhgts on if the NF will be running in late July? Thinking about making a trip out there.
The NF often runs through summer. The standard flow is about 1500 plus/minus a few hundred. If I was bettin' man I'd put my money on late July. I've been up there several years even at labor day and had water. The snowpack in the area was below normal again this year, but it's been running pretty high all spring so that is probably a good sign too.

If you're getting your first NF action, the guidebook is right on in recommending the lower 5 first, then the upper 5, and finally the middle. The rapids on the upper 5 are similar to the middle in intensity (with the exception of Jakes and Jaws) but the recoveries are a lot longer between things on the upper. The action on the middle just keeps coming at you.
Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #10

Jacob's Ladder

I just posted some pic's that I took last summer. Posted them in the creeks section.