NF of the Crystal Pics - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2005   #1

Denver, Colorado
NF of the Crystal Pics

Check out http://www.thehemmingfamily.com/kayaking_nfcrystal.htm to view a few shots of the NF of the Crystal upper 4 drops.

I have added as much beta on this run that I could dig up from the buzz, if you have any other details send them my way.

Cheers,
Paul

[email protected]

paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005   #2

Nice pics

How long is the drive in there? Did your group have any close calls on the river. That looks like some fun stuff.
natebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #3

Lyons, 80540
Paddling Since: 1997
Nice website, Pablo. Didn't know you had that. "Offline" looked pretty online.

Nice work.

JH
Juan E Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005   #4

Denver, Colorado
what's up hobson!

you'd better ask "Offline" aka "Hairic" how he liked doing the 40 footer backwards...must of been a cool view looking up at the drop as he descended

word is your heading to Gauley Fest...what is the game plan?

do you have Bairds email, trying to track that guy down...saw him up at the crystal on sunday.

pablo
Old 07-26-2005   #5

Lyons, 80540
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm going 22 Sep - 26 Sep. you interested? I've never been. Foot is ready for Bailey I think. f'd around in the Golden circus on Sunday and it felt good. I'll shoot you an email...

Hairic rules.
Juan E Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #6

Paul, I think when you said you leave the town of "crystal" befrore the hidden turn you meant to say marble. I always mix those two up when I'm talking about them.

Looks like you guys had a good time, glad to see others got up there to enjoy it. Did you guys run the beef in the inner gorge? How many laps did you do on the upper 4?
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #7

Denver, Colorado
We warmed up on drop #4 a few times than ran drops 1-4 back to back.

We didn't run the inner gorge, two other groups went in and said the inner drops weren't any harder than the technical entrance move at the entrance to the gorge...sounds like that was the crux. Both groups portaged the sketchy undercut and the strainer. Given their beta we wished we had gone into the gorge. Guess we have something to look forward to next year.

Thanks for the beta feedback! Anything you want added about the inner gorge?

As for the post above asking about the drive in, the high road was approx 1.5 hours, less if you were willing to inflict pain on your rig.
Old 07-26-2005   #8

Denver, Colorado
Bigboater - give me a buzz @ 303.332.6262.
Old 07-26-2005   #9

The inner had only two real drops, the entrance and the 10 - 12 footer at the end. The entrance drop boats much easier than it looks. Basically just a left airplane boof at the top after which you run the left channel with a little stroke about half way down to get your bow up. pretty much just good solid fun. There is a must make eddy about 75 yards below the entrance drop on the right (above undercut and wood), but it boats really easy. Also, if you blew it there is another eddy on river left (small). All in all kind of a mix between OBJ and clear creek of the ark, at least at the water levels we were in there (sunday).

Paul, the photos look sweet!

Tom
kung fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #10

The inner drops are good to run as well. The undercut is the true crux rapid that most people portage, but it is good to go, and not really an undercut. You just have to charge it and boof. The next drop is run in sequence over the logs. Then a slide to eddy. The hard part about each of the two crux drops is the boney runouts, not the launches. Wear the elbow pads and you can do the run without any portages.

It was beautiful in there today after a little rain. I think it brought the flow up a bit too, judging by the pics. Drive time was 1.5 hours from the lake to put-in, with heavy jeep traffic.

ps. There is no way that the second drop is 40 feet. Probably drops 20, but really fun.