NF Gunnison and Gunny Gorge - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2004   #1

Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
NF Gunnison and Gunny Gorge

Has anyone run these 2 sections this year. Our group trip may be on plan "B" since the LTB flow are going south. Thanks in advance.

PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004   #2
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
wonderin the same thing.....anyone, anyone??
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #3
PJ

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Gunny Gorge and NF of Gunny

The NF of the Gunny might be ok if your looking for class 3. The Gunny Gorge is probably to low to be worth the time to drive the shuttle and beat up your truck and hike to the river. Why not go to Cross Mt? It seems to be flowing at a good level if you want class 3-4.

Just my 2 cents,
PJ
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004   #4

We thought about Cross and some of us have run it before. I ran it at about 2000 and it looks like it rising. First time on (real) water this year, so we were thinking about some mellow ww and other runs on the way to the Gunny area, Pardale on the Ark and maybe going to the Gunny play park. How is the play park right now? I did the downriver race last year at the Gunny WW fest and the waves were awesome. Big change from years before.
Old 04-08-2004   #5
PJ

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Gunny Park and Royal Gorge

People here in Gunny have said that the ww park is at a good level. I have also heard that Salida is good. Check it if your passing by. It is decieving and is ok even at low flows. I ran the Royal Gorge last year at this level and it was ok for a class 3 run. It is a good warm up run for the year. One rapid has a little boof in it at this level. It is a fun run though. You can get out and scout this rapid. We scouted it on river right. It could have been a class 4 rapid. Sorry, but I don't remember to much about it. The start and finish were a little thin but it was fun. I hope this helps you a little.

PJ
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004   #6
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
just curious PJ, you talkin gunny gorge or royal gorge?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #7

It looks like the Gunny Gorge may be too low and going to wait to run this later in the year. We may run North Fork of the Gunny. This has been on my tick list of III's for a while. It seems liek it will be a good warm up. Does anyone know if there is good camping near the North Fork?
Old 04-12-2004   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have boated the Gunny as low as 300 cfs. It is low but still good to go. I would suggest bringing beer for that float.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #9

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I'm sort of puzzled. Is the North Fork different than the lower section of the Gunnison Gorge below Black Canyon?? It's my understanding that the lower section below Black Canyon has great class III water, but it is a pain in the ass to shuttle and to get to. Plus I heard that you need a pretty hardy vehicle to get in there.

Thus, what is shuttle like on the North Fork, and how easy is it to access the put in and take-out? Is this the same section of river as the section below Black Canyon?
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #10

Yes, they are diffrent sections. The Gunny Gorge is below the Black Canyon on the main fork of the Gunnison R. The north fork confluences w/the main fork at the take out for the gunny gorge. The access road for the Gunny Gorge is Chukar Trail. Clearance is recomended, but I have seen lots of sedans make it down the road. You cannot drive it after rain though; the shale gets really slick. A shuttle service is avalable to save you some time.

I have not done the N. Fork, but I believe the shuttle is real easy. A road pretty much runs next to the river.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote