Next trick to learn in the play park? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2009   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Next trick to learn in the play park?

So I started play boating last year...I feel like I have my flat spin down pretty well (not pretty to watch but can do it consistently). I have been able to cart wheel a couple of times. Should I work on getting the cart wheel better while in the hole or can I start trying to learn something new? What would be the next best move to learn?

colsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
the key to your cartwheel is keep looking ahead of your boats next move. ej advice. the next good trick is a roundhouse or low angle blunt. its fun and doesn't take a whole bunch o moves. practice dropping into the wave and spinning down the face. get use to the loosness, get high on it about 1 oclock angle than a good right power stroke driving your hips slightly right with a thrust to generate a little more speed than edge transfer onto the inside get down on your left knee and with you left blade you are pressing down on the water like a double pump and keep your boat going all the way around. if done correctly you will feel the momentum than huge edge tranfer and than finish off with a good reverse stroker to keep your self on the wave.

the key is edge transfer. you get a bunch o pop with a quick edge transfer.

its best on a pocket wave or a wave with a decent back and some speed, so you can practice it a couple times without getting washed out. dropping down the wave and getting the loosy goosy going is what you need to have to get this trick dialed in or it kinda looks like a half blunt cartwheel. have fun... it will feel funny cause itll almost be like catching your edge but the best way to do it is to just do it.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #3

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
If you've got a good deep hole at your disposal you could start working on loops. Of all the air tricks, the loop is by far the least technical and it opens the door to all the rest.

To loop:
1. Get yourself out of the trough and on top of the foam pile. This is a good move to work on by itself as just about every move you do is best started from this position.
2. Square up to the trough of the hole so that your boat is perpendicular to the foam pile. A rudder can help keep you straight, but don't dig the paddle in too deep because you'll be pulling it out of the water in about half a second.
3. Aggressively throw your weight forward to plug your bow into the green water. To me, this is the trickiest part because your bow can shank off to the side and every hole is a little different in terms of the best spot to plug your bow.
4. If your boat stayed straight during the plug you will start to feel the water rejecting volume of your bow. Stand up tall as your boat goes to vertical and reach your paddle over your head.
5. As your boat begins to peak, but before going over vertical, aggressively throw your body and your paddle forwards to start the flip.
6. Clear the foam with your head and land flat on your hull, ready for another.

Okay, that's best case scenario, but when properly executed that's how they go. It may seem counter intuitive to reach above your head with the paddle, but that's the secret to getting air. That extra reach pulls the boat out of the water when you start your flip.

The trick is keeping the boat straight and timing your flip. Too early and you will fall on your face. Too late and your stern won't clear, causing you to land on your head.

If your bow shanks off to the side, just go with it and aggressively execute the flip. You might end up pulling a Space Godzilla (corked/off-axis loop).

Enjoy and wear nose plugs,
-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyingfish View Post
If you've got a good deep hole at your disposal you could start working on loops. Of all the air tricks, the loop is by far the least technical and it opens the door to all the rest.

To loop:
1. Get yourself out of the trough ...

The trick is keeping the boat straight and timing your flip. Too early and you will fall on your face. Too late and your stern won't clear, causing you to land on your head.
See, that is the part that bothers me about trying to learn to loop. I'm going to try to get better at playboating this year but I just can't get over the image of plugging my head on the bottom from about 3 feet in the air so I'm afraid to try loops and I guess I'm going to stick with rotating moves. Do you playboaters ever plug your head on the bottom from a failed loop? If you do, you are probably coming a lot closer to getting killed than you think.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009   #5

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
You won't hit your head unless the spot is ridiculously shallow....in which case there is no reason to loop it anyway. If you have a good spot for a loop, it is easier than getting a 3 end cartwheel.

Also, phlyingfish missed step #7: Unless you have a really sick loop spot (you live in golden so you don't), you need to snap back to your back deck to push your feet down. It helps to take a "loop stroke." This stroke is almost like a sweep roll except that you bring the stroke directly over your head. This brings your loop around straight and keeps your retentive in the hole.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark