Next boat after Axiom 6.9? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-07-2016   #1
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Next boat after Axiom 6.9?

Buzzards, My son has outgrown his Axiom 6.9. We are looking for the next boat. I am here looking for suggestions. He really liked the Axiom 6.9. We may go with the 8.0 but it seems a little big. He is 115lbs and about 5'5".

We are looking for a river runner that has some surf potential. We are trying to stay away from a hard edge play boat.

Do you all have any suggestions? We will buy used so it does not need to be the latest and greatest.

Thanks.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016   #2

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Do you have the ability to demo a few boats at a local shop? Try out a few if you can. Several brands make river running playboats.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Jackson 2Fun

Check out the Jackson 2Fun kayak. I think your son could easily transition from the Axiom into a 2Fun. My 13 year old (5'9", 120lbs) son has been paddling the 2Fun for the last several years, his older brother paddled it until he was too tall. I've been paddling SuperFun (2nd gen) as my all around kayak for the last 10+ years and I think it's the best all around river runner with play kayak there is. The lighter the paddler the more of a river runner it is, it's easy to roll and real forgiving, especially the 2015.

Last fall they came out with the 4th generation (2015 model) and it's a great river runner with some play. The previous generation (2010-2014) was more playful and yet still a great river runner.

Here are two pictures to illustrate the evolution of 2nd - 3rd - 4th generations. Yellow is 2nd, green/blue is 3rd, green is 4th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	11106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	971.6 KB
ID:	11107  

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I would like to second what fat man z said. I think your son would love a fun series. Given that he liked the axiom and knowing your style of river the fun would be a great choice for him.

Bob
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016   #5

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
I would do a fun instead of a 2fun just for the fact hes a kid and they grow FAST.lol
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If he liked the Axiom you might want to consider an RPM... or maybe a Loki?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016   #7

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Another vote for the new Fun series. Super comfy, surfs great and rolls so easy.

It's tempting to get a big boat to grow into. But, it could set him back paddling too big a boat. This lapse could be the time he takes it to the next level in a proper fitting boat. I think we all have the best time and most success in a properly fitting boat.

Way to go taking your kid paddling. You have changed his life in so many great ways just by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016   #8
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Another vote for Fun series for sure. And little hero for a more stable river runner. I learned so much in my 4fun. Huge confidence builder to have a stable, good rolling boat that still plays well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016   #9
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Oh, boy. Talk'n boats.

You didn't say how old/fast growing your son is, but fwiw I am 5'7" 135# and I really like my 3rd gen 2fun. So there would be some room for him to grow into that boat. My play boat is a last gen with cross-link Star which I absolutely love. I can barely fit in it so it's not comfy but I can really throw it around.

I got the 2fun for play runs as it has more room. I can get one knee at a time in the center to rest my old hips. It is almost as playful as the star but quite a bit more stable. I can really get worked in the Star in bigger water.

U didn't say how good your boys' roll is but my 2fun rolls easy. That might be a consideration. It is a short boat tho, can be hole bait. Would be a change from the axiom. U said u were looking for something more on the river running end so the latest gen 2fun might be just the ticket.

If rolling is still an issue, the small versions of creeky river runners might also b an option. Lots of stability. Rpm is a big boat without a planeing hull so would be a big dif. Have fun!

Oh, what does the kid want? I know u want to steer him in the right direction but his buy-in might be a factor. Cheers!
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
Rpm is a big boat without a planeing hull so would be a big dif. Have fun!
Yeah, but the Axiom isn't a "play boat" in the modern sense... everyone I know that has one paddles it because it is slicey and squirts super well. The RPM does those things better than a Fun in my opinion. I would have recommended a Necky Jive if it was something I thought he could find...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote