newby to run Platte from deckers - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2015   #1

sedalia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
newby to run Platte from deckers

I have ran platte to the chute then around the chute to confluence. I am new to the sport and don't know many that kayak. My family kayaks a little with me but are less experienced and I can't take them in the river until it drops and gets warmer!

Looking for someone or a group to run the Platte with from deckers to the confluence.

newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015   #2

pnw, Washington
Seems a little on the high side for a first time through the chutes. Good luck.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #3

sedalia, Colorado
I skip the chutes this high. tried it last year at lower level and came out upside down. Need more experience for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We were not as level obsessed when I was a beginner,basically clueless,but we ran it at 1500.That is the level the books say is 3+ and rare.You have a chance to get it at it's best.Go for it ,very fun and a big recovery pool if you get spanked.Just keep it straight a tad left of center (or at least not too far right) and paddle hard.Provided there is no wood you'll be fine.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
a little second thought about telling a beginner to do this..I really don't think you would be hurt if you messed up,but probably should have an experienced boater there so you don't lose any gear..there is a very good recovery pool but this high I suppose it might be tough to get a boat to shore yourself..
Old 05-22-2015   #6

sedalia, Colorado
Yes last year I hit it right of center and the water bouncing off the left side had me upside down fast. Probably good because I would be overconfident now and feeling invincible. I know mother nature though and I am old enough that I have self preservation.

I think the other problem is I was in a necky bliss. This year I upgraded to a 2014 Jackson karma. That should help a little, it is a little more forgiving then that bliss.

Thanks for the information.
Old 05-22-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Karma is supposed to be an awesome boat....basically it is down the middle...at the top right of the actual chute part there is a slab of rock leaning against side ...we used to cliff jump off of the Thumb into the Chute and swim over there,at lower flows,and you could get behind the slab.In a boat at high water it could be deadly,but the current takes you away from it.If a beginner screwed up the entrance drop they might end up over there somehow ,probably not it is a common 1st run,but just get left a little to steer well clear of it....we were in duckies so more forgiving to rookie..now I do it maybe once a year in my creek boat,ironically a Necky Blunt ,usually around a thousand
Old 05-22-2015   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Was up there today scouting Waterton and would NOT recommend running the chute on the Deckers run. LOTS of super-nasty running whirlpools, but the bad part is that it'd push anyone hard left into the rock face and possibly into a little cutback pool on the left that I doubt you could swim out of. The rest of it is featureless, but running FAST.

Waterton? Crazy. Walked the full length and the little take-out beach at the bottom is in reachable due to the water level. The rest is nasty with sheer walls of water past the normal obstacles. Most of it has some cheater lines, but if you screwed up you'd be farked until it spit you out in Denver.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Have any feel for how much was in Foxton and how much in the South Fork?1390 at Trumball,it still says 143 at Bailey,leaving apx 800 CFS unaccounted for.....guess beginners better stay away for a while ...have run it at 1500 and while fun and very exciting to a beginner it was far from death defying..maybe something has changed..never seen Waterton above about 1600..slipped once getting out to scout at 1500 and swam Green Bridge ...it was more embarrassing than bruising or scary...
Old 05-23-2015   #10

CCC, CO
Sorry to continue the thread hijack. Ran Boulder Garden (top of Foxton) & Waterton Thursday night.

BG/Foxton is a fun/high side of normal level. Boulder Garden seemed about 700 (compared to my past runs) but there was more water coming in along the way as the Foxton run progresses. As always, watch the seive on the right side below the massive boulder at the bottom of Boulder Garden- run that left chute!

Waterton was at 2100. Definitely the most fun I've ever had in 10 minutes in a kayak. If you're comfortable with the bigness/fastness of it, I've never had that much fun on the front range.

Once you go around a few bends and see S turn up ahead, pull out left ASAP and scout the whole thing.

From S turns on is non-stop, fast big water (mostly just big wave trains with a few big wave holes to surf or dodge) and some serious Class IV lines in Green Bridge and Avalanche and basically no eddies on the left side once the action starts.

Green Bridge rocks are all under water-- run the sneak along the right bank or pick a class V boof somewhere else -- looked munchy everywhere but hard right. The next one (Avalanche) the big rock had water pouring over it but there was a clean line on the left, stay left of the left-side boulder above the rapid and keep left. Vertical Blender had an easy washed out wave down the middle and was washed out boogie water beyond that. The "lake", although flatwater, is moving very quickly and the take out is slightly challenging with no eddy - hold each others' boats while you step out.

High likelihood that if you swim, you may swim until the "lake" and your boat may carry on to who knows where. Better be comfortable rolling in big water. (Both Justin and I had combat rolls in some big boogie water).

If you have big water cravings & experience, go get some Waterton. So much fun. Enough stoke to carry my creeker back to the car. Would have ran it twice if it wasn't for being after 8 pm by then.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote