newbie needs info! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2009   #1

newbie needs info!

Hello!
My name is Cindy. I'm an inspiring author currently doing a creative writing course, and have decided the main setting for my novel will be a white water rafting trip in B.C. (Kicking Horse River) kayak or raft not sure yet. However I have no experience with rafting and was hoping I could find someone to answer my silly beginner questions. My daughter suggested posting here for help.
I know absolutely nothing about the lingo, the dangers, terms gear other then what I have researched online. I know in Bc they don't allow level 5 or 6? Why is that?
Any help, information anyone could give me would be so welcome. Who knows, maybe after writing about it, I will be ready to give it a try.
Thanks so much

Cindy

nicole2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
I know in Bc they don't allow level 5 or 6? Why is that?
If you are saying Class V and VI then that would be incorrect. There are many people on this board who run class V regularly. I have seen video of people running class V in BC as well. VI is defined as unrunnable so in that sense, I guess you are right about class VI in BC.
Old 05-25-2009   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
you should just pick up a copy of this book to give yourself a base level intro to it and then you might be able to ask more specific questions later.

The Complete Whitewater Rafter Book

and i think you mean "aspiring" writer not "inspiring" writer...
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
you should just pick up a copy of this book to give yourself a base level intro to it and then you might be able to ask more specific questions later.

The Complete Whitewater Rafter Book
I would agree this is a really good book. It will teach you a lot about boating. I would also go to your local gear shop and look for a book on specific areas of interest such as B.C. You can probably find a book on the specific river you are looking at.

Good luck in your writing. Hopefully writing this book will make you want to try the real thing.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #5

Salida, Colorado
You should consider some "field research". Book a raft trip with a commercial then hang with the guides after. Many are kayakers and one
evening spent thusly would be very illuminating.