Newbie lessons in Denver Metro? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2013   #1
Total newbie

Arvada, Colorado
Newbie lessons in Denver Metro?

Hi all,

I'm a total beginner looking for recommendations of good teachers in the metro. I live in Arvada. I'm oldish(46), heavy(250#), and out of shape(should be lighter than 210# for my build) but in a past existence, I surfed daily. I need to get back in the water and don't see a better motivation for fitness than kayaking.

I don't have any river experience save for a single commercial raft day on the Poudre.

I've read several posts stating there are good schools and bad schools in the area. I'd prefer a good one.

Thanks!

Bonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Dont do it man, boating blows...
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'd recommend Renaissance Adventure guides or Confluence Kayaks that run lessons pretty consistently. If you want to go private I would throw in any of the Downstream Edge guys as well.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
So very cool that you want to get back into the water. I think any of the local paddle shops would be fine (Confluence/Golden River Sports). What is important is that you want to have fun. Being a reformed landlocked surfer myself, I can say from experience that you are way ahead of many others in that you are comfortable with being tossed around while your head is under water. Enjoy the learning process!
Sitting Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #5

Golden, 80401
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
I'd recommend Renaissance Adventure guides or Confluence Kayaks that run lessons pretty consistently. If you want to go private I would throw in any of the Downstream Edge guys as well.
I'll second renaissance, very nice guys and pretty good teachers too.
tyberesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #6
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Colorado Whitewater offers instruction, and is also a good way to hook up with like minded people at a similar skill level.

Colorado Whitewater - Home
Old 08-13-2013   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
Take a lesson ASAP from Confluenec or RA. If you like it, dive in head first. You're not getting any younger and you've got a few months left to go for this season. Great beginner surfing/play level at Golden right now.

Buy a playful boat, like this one:
Wavesport EZG 60 - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
A helmet, PFD, paddle, skirt dry top. You'll drop $1k when it's all over and you'll wonder why you didn't start paddling years ago.

Have fun. Lean forward and paddle hard damnit.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #8

Loves Park, Illinois
Bonker! Same here! 49, former surfer and 288 when I started, 235 now.

I got into kayaking at the end of last summer. Bought a Remix and then a Jackson MonStar. I'm stuck in northern IL, so most of my paddling right now is on nearby flat water. I have a 60 mile one way commute and 4 kids, one of whom has special needs. The MonStar fits underneath the box cover on my truck, so I can haul it to and from work and stop on the way home for a half hour or so. I took some private lessons to get a roll and some basic strokes down. Now I try to paddle at least four nights a week and have a goal to get out west next summer. I guess what I'm saying is that its never too late or too hard. If my fat busy ass can get at it, then anyone can! Beware though..... I got hard hooked! Bought a drysuit recently so I can paddle until everything ices over. "Sorry honey, I'll get the house painted next year!"
Have fun!
htaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #9
Kayak & SUP Lessons

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you want a great excuse to travel a bit

Come on down to the Southwest corner to see us (surfthesanjuans.com), we would love to work with you.
SSJ LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #10
Total newbie

Arvada, Colorado
I appreciate the welcome and the encouragement! Not at all like the localism you experience in Santa Cruz.
Bonker is offline   Reply With Quote