Newbie Kayaker... HELP!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-02-2008   #1

Newbie Kayaker... HELP!!!

i want to start doing some whitewater kayaking and plan on getting a kayak in December. i live in mississippi so there arent really any places i can take kayaking lessons. we go up to the ocoee river to go rafting every year so thats where i would kayak... any advice on where i need to start.

newbiekayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I would suggest going out a lake or pool and getting a really good roll so when you do travel to boat you wont spend all your time swimming. there are some videos and articles online that teach how to roll. and maybe get kayaking books from the library. find a friend to paddle with, preferably someone who is a good paddler. if you can find someone out there to take lessons from i strongly suggest that, its important to have a strong foundation of basic skills.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #3

ok thanks... i will try to get one of my friends to paddle with me... like i said i live in mississippi and i cant find anybody to give lessons anywhere... but ill take a look at the articles and videos..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008   #4
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I never had lessons so it took me longer, but I noticed a guy come up one time with his head back on his back deck, tried it and it worked. There's a lot of stuff to do, but if your head comes up last most other stuff works. I know that's too simple, but it's the key in my opinion. [email protected]
Old 09-02-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I never had lessons so it took me longer
how long did it take you to learn and how did you learn
Old 09-02-2008   #6

If you go to the Ocoee area, just contact Nantahala Outdoor Center. They are one of the best anywhere and will set you up for success.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
If you go to the Ocoee area, just contact Nantahala Outdoor Center. They are one of the best anywhere and will set you up for success.
we only stay for 2 or 3 days and are only on the ocoee for 1 day... so i dont really have time for lessons there or anything... do i???
Old 09-02-2008   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Send a message via Yahoo to DenverDave
I like what has been said. Practice your roll in a lake until you're sick of it. Head Down!!! When you get to the river, you'll have a better chance at making it if you are in a bigger boat -- make sure that you are in a creeker, and not a small playboat. Newbies tend to "survive", rather than "perform". We are lucky here in Colorado, we get to practice alot with our buddies to help when we swim. People out here are also usually very willing to help you right there on the spot.

The river is a "different ballgame". Don't forget that... My advice on the Ocoee is simple... lean very slightly forward, and paddle hard!

Have Fun! It's a great sport!
"I'm putting a personal bounty on the head of Tim McCrackin. He's the coach, and chief punk on that Syracuse team. A hundred bucks of my own money to the first of my boys who really nails that creep!" --Coach Reg Dunlop, Charlestown Chiefs
DenverDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #9
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I spent years swimming until I noticed the head thing. then I got it almost immediately. Same way with telesking, I'm too cheap for lessons so I just watch and noticed their shoulders stayed facing down hill. Noticing the details helps alot. I never met a kayaker who wouldn't help with things they notice when you roll so ask. Hope to see you out here someday and we'll boat something. Ron.
Old 09-03-2008   #10

do you have any advice on teaching myself how to roll