Newbie in Denver wanting to start. - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2007   #1

Newbie in Denver wanting to start.

Yo,

Looking to start ''paddling'' hopefully this weekend. No idea what to do to get started or which place to get lessons, what to buy etc. It just looks awesome seeing people go through confluence park all the time while I'm out cycling.

I figured I'd fly a newbie flag see if I could get some help without the typical ''search button'' flaming.

Oh yeah, screw the west slope.

jorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007   #2

I'm 6'1'' 200 lbs...
Old 05-10-2007   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
If you are in that area, hit up the local shop. Hit pool sessions, have fun.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
If you are in that area, hit up the local shop. Hit pool sessions, have fun.

Local shop is on Platte st. about 3 blocks down from REI
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
newbie inflaming

Western slope sucks??? You ought to learn to boat in the confluence. Some pretty dirty city water down there...while learning be sure to drink lots of the confluence water.

As far a learning that all depends on your financial flow...If you got the loot and are serious buy some gear, if not take a class with rentals. Definitely try to start in a pool cause Colorado is about the least forgiving place to learn to boat...the water is really cold. Definitely buy clothing first and make sure you have enough clothes to comfortably swim, cause your gonna due a bunch of it.

The other dude is right, go to the confluence shop. Buy whatever they tell you to and give'm lots of money.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketohike View Post
Western slope sucks??? You ought to learn to boat in the confluence. Some pretty dirty city water down there...while learning be sure to drink lots of the confluence water.

As far a learning that all depends on your financial flow...If you got the loot and are serious buy some gear, if not take a class with rentals. Definitely try to start in a pool cause Colorado is about the least forgiving place to learn to boat...the water is really cold. Definitely buy clothing first and make sure you have enough clothes to comfortably swim, cause your gonna due a bunch of it.

The other dude is right, go to the confluence shop. Buy whatever they tell you to and give'm lots of money.
Hey I was just making a ''funny'' about the whole west slope versus front range. I lived in Summit County in the past and never kayaked or anything. Now I live downtown in Denver, and want to get into it.

What am I looking to spend for a class with rrentals?
Old 05-11-2007   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Confluence Kayaks - Denver Kayak Instruction has all the info you need on lessons & rentals.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I was making a funny back

Here in Steamboat you can get a 3 hour never ever class with rentals for $75, through mountain sports kayak school, shouldn't be much more down there. But the best deal is through CMC which offers like ten classes through the college for $110 with rentals and pool time. You might want to look into community colleges to get a better deal. But once you learn to role you can just get out an meet people. Also, think about finding a never ever friend that wants to learn, because yak'n is a group thing. It's never a good idea to boat alone. People do, but only after they've been paddling for a long time and feel comfortable. As a newbie you should never ever boat alone. Even a girlfriend watching from shore is enough while you are on flat water. Maybe and old school approach, but I'd rather paddle another day than drown. But like I said in the first post, hardly anybody can buy all the gear new at once. Start out with a good set of cold water clothes (drytop, skull cap, base layers (fleece from your mountain gear) farmer john, booties...) You want to be able to swim in the cold water, get out and drain your boat, and get back in without feeling hypothermic. So many newbies try to learn wearing all the wrong clothing it is a painfull experience that shouldn't be. You can rent or borrow a boat, but you can't rent clothing. And don't buy the cheapiest paddle out there, it is next to impossible to learn with a paddle with a perfectly circular grip, look for a paddle that had a oval grip...it will let you feel where the blade is relative to the shaft. blablbalbblablbalb

just take a class
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #9

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Hey, think about scoping out http://www.coloradokayakers.com/ also. They are a bit more beginner oriented and it may be easier to find some people that are just starting also.