Newbe rafters, ready for Browns? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2009   #1

Newbe rafters, ready for Browns?

We have a new 14' paddlecat raft and have only done one trip from Texas Creek to Parkdale at about 800cfs. Had no problems handling the the boat.

We have done Browns a couple time on commercial trips, but it was a while back. I would like to try it before the level gets too high. Would it be foolish to try at current level with such limited experience?

tcb-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It is more technical then difficult right now. Your biggest concern is getting pined on all the rocks. Just go with a group so you can see the lines and if you get in trouble you will have some help. With a group you should be O.K. If you do swim at these levels it is a easy swim. Our newby rafters over the weekend only had some trouble in toilet bowl, and they still got flushed out. All in all it is fairly easy, not to say a newby will not flip. Just make sure you are dressed to be in the water! Cold kills even at low flows.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
There is no avoiding toilet bowl in the raft, just try not to bounce off the rock into it.
That was my favorite rapid for sure!
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
I took a raft with three others down last summer at similar flows and made it without flipping, although we did get hung up on tons of rocks at the beginning. It was my third time guiding a raft.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Toilet Bowl Manuver at this Level - the fun line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
There is no avoiding toilet bowl in the raft, just try not to bounce off the rock into it.
That was my favorite rapid for sure!
Did Brown's twice last weekend on a Hyside 13'9" oar rig.

The move in toilet bowl I recommend is:

1. Approach the upper rock left of center with your bow pointing leftish straight.
2. As you pass the upper rock on your right hand side stick your right oar/paddle in the water just behind it so the eddy grabs and spins your boat right. You will be above toilet bowl and will sneak right around it. Your stern might tickle the bowl but you should be good.

You can also sneak the right bank and go over the river right rock and sneak the whole thing but that is not as fun.

You can also tie up above and walk the train tracks down to the bowl and most likely see some others run it to give you the idea on the line to take and the moves to make.
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just kind of drop into it and highside if needed...it isn't too complicated, kinda like a, well toilet bowl
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #7

Cody, Wyoming
don't mean to hijack, but are the photogs out on zoom flume yet? i plan to run browns this sunday and was wondering if we might get some photos from whitewaterphotography.com.

also, does the move described at toilet bowl get harder with a raft with more water? i have run it as described several times when kayaking (stay close to the upstream rock and sweep around/upstream to the river right of the whirly), but this will be my first time as captain of a paddle raft. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Yes and Dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowman View Post
don't mean to hijack, but are the photogs out on zoom flume yet? i plan to run browns this sunday and was wondering if we might get some photos from whitewater.com.

also, does the move described at toilet bowl get harder with a raft with more water? i have run it as described several times when kayaking (stay close to the upstream rock and sweep around/upstream to the river right of the whirly), but this will be my first time as captain of a paddle raft. later.
Saw photogs out on Zume both Sat. and Sun. this past weekend.

I have never run it in bigger water but I would imagine in bigger water the river center rock gets covered and you can almost just stay river right the whole way to avoid being flushed in the bowl? Not sure at what level but maybe others on the Buzz will have some input?
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
I don't really remember toilet bowl above about 1500; it was a non-issue in a kayak. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #10

I'm planning to do this run first time tomorrow Thurs 5/13 put-in around noon.
Posted on trip planner if anyone is intrested.
tcb-king is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns