New Zealand next Jan. need Help - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2004   #1
cw

New Zealand next Jan. need Help

I'm trying to plan a month long trip to NZ (January). As of now its a solo trip. I was thinking of buying/renting a car and either camping out of the vehicle or renting a room somewhere? Does anyone have any suggestions on where to base out of? Or anything else that might get me started.

I just ordered the NZ Whitewaterbook but am pretty much clueless. please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2004   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Murchinson or Hokito, I am sure the spelling is wrong but those are the mecca's.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #3

Murchison and Hokitika are both on the west coast of the South Island and you should be able to hook up with some paddlers for sure. Fiordland, besides being scenic, also has some great paddling. If you are planning on staying in the South Island, Air New Zealand is starting direct flights to Christchurch from LA in November. This will save having to get connecting flights from Auckland. If you are getting your own car, I would suggest flying to Auckland and picking up a cheap set of wheels and touring down the country. There are great rivers in the North Island too, and maybe one of those North Islanders out there can help you out. When you get to Christchurch drop into Topsport or Canoe and Outdoor World to get info and contacts for paddling.
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2004   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
do you know if their prices are going to be more reasonable?
Old 06-17-2004   #5

I know that the LA flight to Christchurch is about $1000 up until Dec 2nd, after that I am not sure if they will have specials. Check out www.airnewzealand.com for prices.
Old 06-17-2004   #6
cw

thanks for the info!

I'll be cashing in frequent flyer miles on United, so it looks I'll be going into Auckland
Old 06-18-2004   #7

nz paddling

Murchison is great for Grade 2 and 3 paddlers, Xmas and New year are a party and you will have no problems getting partners and rides. The Riverview motor camp is cheap, and has cabins for around $16NZ, or you can tent for around $6NZ.
If you are into Grade 4+ Hokitika is the place to be but going to Murchison first will probably be good to do as far as meeting upper grade boaters.
auswanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
$1000 for flights to NZ? I checked this January and they were $2000. This is very interesting.
Old 06-18-2004   #9

The $1000 flights are introductory prices for the new LA to Christchurch service that ends on December 2nd. After that I am sure prices will be high as you will be travelling in the peak season.