New Zealand in August - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2008   #1

New Zealand in August

hey

taking a trip to the south island of NZ in August. will any rivers be running? class IV? i know it is winter time, just wondering if there is anything that i might be able to get on

thanks!

outdoorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008   #2

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
West Coast precip

August (late winter) is actually pretty damn wet on the NZ west coast, particularly on South Island where there are many incredible rivers.

Hokitika is a good base for exploring, if you can handle the frequent downpours. Compared to the western US, the rivers are short, from headwater to sea, and they rise and fall more abruptly in response to storms. You have to be ready to go where the water is good, and to take shelter when it rages.

For reliable advice on when and where to go, get in touch with a Kiwi. Booking a guide for the first week or two is an excellent option, both for the quality of the boating and for beta on further trips.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Lots of good stuff out there, though if you're eying class IV Hokitika may not be the place for you. Lots of ultra-remote, helicopter or hike-in only runs, and most of them in the solid V range. You may want to check out the North Island. Pick up the guidebook New Zealand Whitewater and you'll get an idea of the goods.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008   #4

only one day to paddle

i wish i was going for the paddling, but i am not. i probably only have 1-2 days to paddle. anything that would be good for one day that isn't too pricey?
outdoorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #5

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Might be a bit cold still...

here's a good link for you

http://rivers.org.nz/

There are some forums to meet / get info ,etc...
and heaps of info on the whole boating scene. Cheers!
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
The message board UN linked to is usually pretty active. If you're just looking for a day or two of boating, you could rent/demo a boat and run the Kaituna, which would be a good time. It's on the N. Island.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I was thinking you'd have a month or two. Get the guidebook for sure.

If you've only got a couple days, where you boat is pretty dependent on where in the country you are. In late August, there should be plenty of water in most places, but rainy/cold spells are common. North Island east coast has decent boating weather then, but most of the 'yak rental outfits pack up for winter, so it can be a challenge to hire a boat.

But there's some gorgeous water. Here's Huka Falls, on the Waikato River below Lake Taupo: typical Kiwi class IV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8080126.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	512

Just kidding.

Between the commercial timbering, farming and livestock, many North Island rivers are in sad shape. But there are a few still under native bush that are gorgeous: below is the tranquil part of the Waioeko, which reaches the east coast of N. Island at Opotiki. Upstream are bedrock channels and some sporty rapids: a nice 2-3 days of boating. Tree ferns foreground. Clean gravel on the bars and the water is like Absolut with a dash of Midori.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8150341.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	513

Both photos were taken in August, 2006.

If you'll be in Auckland, it might make sense to try sea kayaking instead. There's a rental place on Tamaki Drive, by the Canoe Club.

Have a good trip

Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august