New Zealand boating ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2009   #1

C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
New Zealand boating ideas

alright folk's let's hear what you got!!
i'm headed to the promise land and need some thought's about that area.
here's the jist:
i'm going be down there starting around the 19th of Jan. and will be there till the middle of march.
plenty of time to do some exploring and to see all of what New Zealand has to offer.
will be traveling be a camper van(any thought's on a good company or buy one?)
the kicker is that i'll be showing up with nothing!! I'm in Thailand now.
the girlfriend is also a paddler and is a soild 4 boater with time to warm up(did 5's but the shoulder's aren't so great these days)
oh yeah, looking for a guy, Trent that fly's heli's and is a sick paddler, my buddy Josh M. say's what up!!
also, Jordan that was in the states in 08' and crashed in my lawn in C.B. for awhile, you owe me!!! he had stellar Fibark to say the least.
thank's to all with idea's
later chris

goodnoughc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009   #2

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.....new zealand.....

....hey sick chop...what's up.... gettin' any good thai boxing training?....i hope my "inflatable-8 sided-fun machine" shows up soon....you need to track down LAwRENCE SIMPSON....HIS WEBSITE OR WHATEVER IS huck z gnar or something...i'll track down connor finny or c larson today......try to get you a number or email.....cool kid...and is a gross chop.......a heavy duty...a sickbird....a kid who gives 'er......um, likes his STOUT shit(hommage to young fred gnarquest)......check you pm's tonight....hope all is well...you hear about mike from BUCKAROO BEANERY?.....oh yea, the run you "inherited" from me(CANYON DE NEGRO) is purring along at 750......be safe.....kick hard....clinch up.......throw those knees.....blue-run-bomber420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #3

Weaverville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1997
my suggestions...

buy a van, it would be much cheaper.

look here Vans

then I would head to Taihape and work at the Bliss-Stick factory to get a boat. Plenty of resources there and super nice folks. Contact Norm at [email protected] and see what you can work out.

Enjoy NZ. It is the shiznit.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009   #4

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Buy a van. Many places to find them, including the hostles. My last trip took me 4 days to sell it at the end. Ask your heli pilot friend about heli kayak trips on the west coast. When I was there last this was pretty cheap for a group of 4, and a fantastic experience. Perth is the prettiest little gorge I've been in, though may push the class IV limit a little. 8 meter waterfal was really nice and soft. Landsboro was real nice for an overnight trip. Check the forums at NZRCA: (rivers.org.nz) for info and people to boat with.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #5

Chris

Hope you have a great time in NZ the boating should be good as they have been having a bit of rain in the south by the look of it.

I am an NZer now living in the US so here are my thoughts for what they are worth,

Buy a van if you can will end up cheaper if you can sell it before you go, hostels / backpackers lodges are a good place to start looking can often find one fitted up but check it has current registration and warrent of fitness. Or turners car auction may be an option.

Visit Bliss stick for sure as already mentioned it my be a way to work for a cheaper boat and the river there is a great run.

get to the south island early in your trip as you could spend all your time there and still want more time. Murchison is a good stop for some warm up paddling and stop by the NZ kayak school, Mick and the crew should be able to point you in the direction of good water.

Often the adveture is finding your own stuff so I will stop there and hope it is all you expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnoughc View Post
alright folk's let's hear what you got!!
i'm headed to the promise land and need some thought's about that area.
here's the jist:
i'm going be down there starting around the 19th of Jan. and will be there till the middle of march.
plenty of time to do some exploring and to see all of what New Zealand has to offer.
will be traveling be a camper van(any thought's on a good company or buy one?)
the kicker is that i'll be showing up with nothing!! I'm in Thailand now.
the girlfriend is also a paddler and is a soild 4 boater with time to warm up(did 5's but the shoulder's aren't so great these days)
oh yeah, looking for a guy, Trent that fly's heli's and is a sick paddler, my buddy Josh M. say's what up!!
also, Jordan that was in the states in 08' and crashed in my lawn in C.B. for awhile, you owe me!!! he had stellar Fibark to say the least.
thank's to all with idea's
later chris
coadwell is offline   Reply With Quote