New User Fees - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: Should the government have more or less control?
Yes 2 28.57%
No 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2006   #1

New User Fees

Surprise, surprise. The government is at it again, looking for ways to take OUR hard earned money. This year in CO, the Habitat "Stamp" is a required permit for anyone who uses a State Wildlife Area. At first glance, this may not seem to affect boaters, but alas! Loma Boat launch is a SWA. I called the DOW to confirm the details, and I found out that EVERYONE using the boat ramp will be required to have the permit. It is $10/yr, and is automatically assessed w/the purchase of a hunting/fishing license.(only $5 if purchased w/a license.) So, if you're planning a family trip down Ruby/Horsethief, get ready to fork over $10 per person to do so. Oh yes, and these stamps are NOT available at the Launch; they must be purchased at a DOW office.
Thank your federal government, folks.
THought y'all would be interested....

Western Slope WaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006   #2

Golden, Colorado
$10 per person sounds like a ripoff but I think use fees are a necessary evil if the gov't keeps cutting taxes and increasing deficit spending. The republicans have fooled a bunch of uneducated rednecks and jesus freaks into voting for them. This fee is an example of how tax cuts and an imbalanced budget hurt the average American.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Thank the feds for a fee in a SWA? Aren't SWAs run by Colorado, not the federal government?

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006   #4

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I love you, Ture.
Old 02-09-2006   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture
$10 per person sounds like a ripoff but I think use fees are a necessary evil if the gov't keeps cutting taxes and increasing deficit spending. The republicans have fooled a bunch of uneducated rednecks and jesus freaks into voting for them. This fee is an example of how tax cuts and an imbalanced budget hurt the average American.
Ture,
Maybe you should look at the CO state representation to find answers regarding state land fees. Also, you seem like an educated and enlightened person who would with hold judgement and prejudice. Or maybe not. I mean, an educated person would know the difference between state and federal tax issues, right? Or perhaps you would like for the fed gov't to take over all state land? Would that really release gov't control of lands, or make it worse? From here you look like another basher, with nothing positive to add to the conversation--only name calling and bitching. On one hand you are whining about lowering taxes, and on the other bitching about having to pay your own way. But don't let facts get in the way of your ideology. I mean, the fact that the "average American" has voted Rep in the house, senate, and presidency should not prohibit you from complaining about a tax added to the select people who actually are getting outdoors and using public lands.

Fwiw, in MT we had the same funding problems with state land. We also had a user fee that had to be purchased ahead of time. This was finally replaced by a fee attached to the licensing of vehicles, that is voulantary but not advertised. If you don't want to pay the $3, you must ask. If you pay, you don't get a sticker any more. It is assumed that everyone pays, and I think that very few even are aware of the fee, or that it can be opted out of paying. Another caveat is that every year I pay an extra $7 state land fee with my elk tag, so they nick me twice (this fee is up front and also helps to arrainge for public access to private land). Our system stinks in my opinion, b/c it is deceitful. But it does get the necessary funding, and the amount is negligible (our licensing fees are already very low).

There is no easy option, the land takes $ to upkeep, and the more it is used, the more it costs. Makes sense to charge those who are using it. Setting up fee stations is probably cost-prohibitive. Purchase a land ownership map to see just how much state land there is, and how broken up it is, and you will see what the folks in charge are up against. I didn't vote (in this poll) b/c I don't like hidden taxes, don't like having to know to pay in advance (the $10 isn't shit, but showing up w/o knowing and w/o your license will ruin a trip), and don't like taxing people unduly.

Of course, I guess the feds could always raise taxes to pay for state land shortfalls...
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #6

ski/kayak bum
my dear son mike a-

actually tax cuts at the fed level do have an impact. because of fed tax cuts, many programs have now had their funding passed on to the state level. this pressures state legislatures to come up with creative funding (such as hidden fees) to supply necessary expenditures. not only that but as cuts are made (on all levels) the future expenditures are multiplied exponentially. for example, lets create a situation where education funding is cut. what are the ramifications? you guessed it, prison funding must go up, bankruptures need to be funded, health costs rise, police and insurance costs rise from crime, homeless shelters need more funding, less technology advancement, jobs head overseas, the same tax cut creates deficits which are more expensive for future generations, ect. ect. all for a few saved bucks.....yes i've heard the more money in my pocket, more money to invest, trickle down theory. it sounds good on the face until it falls flat on that same face.......

back to the topic, should children be charged the ten bucks? what about when the funding is cut to the point where it becomes a 100 dollars, maybe we should outsource the care for our parks and let some "more efficient" company profit from them? even better, only those that can afford it should be able to go to school, toll roads everywhere, assumed guilty until you can pay for a fair trail, military/fire/police protection but only if your check doesn't bounce.........

-aaron
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #7

Sick um' Double A!Of course the state has to offset the federal cuts or whatever program will be underfunded,duh. One of the few Republican ideas that I agree with is that tax revenue can be used more efficiently locally than federally,not gobbled up by bureaucracy.Don't delude yourself into thinking that the same level of service can be maintained without the state picking up the slack,a Federal cut means a local increase or a reduction in services[barring some massive improvement in efficiency}.In theory you get more for your money locally.
It sucks to have to pay but doesn't that give us more say in things if we are paying?I believe you get emergency rescue insurance if you buy a fishing liscense{sp} hell thats worth the cost .I'd rather pay than see the republicans further assault the regulatory processes of this country and fucking privatize everything!!!
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I understand the annoyance of paying for something that you didn't have to pay for in the past. I'm not going to get into the debate on taxes, state vs. federal, or donkeys vs. elephants. In the end though, I don't mind paying reasonable fee's for access, upkeep, expenses etc. Paying a few bucks on the Ark where there are bathrooms and improvements to handle the boating traffic at the put in is worth it to me. The kind of work that river rangers do on the gunny gorge, or westwater to help keep campsites clean, remove non-native species, etc is also worthy of my $ I think. There are still plenty of places to paddle that don't cost anything, but the big ticket rivers with major use end up getting regulated, and I don't think its a bad thing. Think of how much garbage, fire-scars, and human shit would be at the westwater campsites if the rangers (that get bashed here didn't vigrously enforce fire pans, groovers, and cleanup. Most of us would do the right thing, but not everyone would. I spoke with old grey-beard grand canyon guides who noted that there were beer cans, shit, and fire scars all over the place before they made an serious effort to clean up and minimize impacts.

Also, I think that we should consider ourselves lucky to have the kind of land and access that we do. I boated with a guy from Europe who noted that they didn't have the campgrounds, state and national parks etc that we do. He was blown away by having a nice campsite, running water, and a hot shower after boating (campground in Tennessee). The government had the foresight to set aside some of the most amazing places so that they wouldn't get overrun by development. To keep them up, it costs money. If I pay 10$ directly, or indirectly through taxes, so be it. I am very supportive of the myriad of local, state, and federal government agencies that maintain river guages and history data, snowpack data so I can drool all winter, that put in boat ramps for heavily used areas, and that keep use to reasonable levels for special places. I'm not saying its perfect, but we have it damn good when you look at the big picture.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #9

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Agreed...ten bucks is a very small price to pay for what we have. But it was a good point that showing up unawares can ruin your day. What to do what to do.
Old 02-09-2006   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't mind some of the user fees and agree with Ian (DSP) above. What I DO oppose is the fact that we're paying $10 to the DOW, $40 to State Parks for an annual parks pass, $2 or $3 each time you go to BLM user fee locations (Pumphouse/Gore) and so on. Between all the agencies that each have jurisdiction, it becomes expensive AND a real hassle.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote