New user announcement.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-05-2013   #1

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: now
New user announcement....

Hey folks!! I'm new to this forum. I live outside Durango CO....I'm going to buy a raft.....and I'm going to ask A TON of newbie questions!! (I'll use the search function first though). I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible here, please be patient.

mr_diggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
That's good because its been quite a while since someone posed a "what raft to buy?" question .

Welcome to the Buzz

Other good ones are how long of oars should i be running?, do i drain my cooler? how many bays should i put in my frame?, who sits on their coolers?, and why do my oars seem to hit my knees? as well as does anyone have space on their (coveted river) permit for someone with severe bipolar disorder?

You shouldn't have to search much further than 6 weeks. There is a wealth of information on this site. Honestly i wish i would have researched and learned from others experience because i'm on my fourth boat before i've found total satisfaction

Remember -- you will never know where this hobby will take you. There is no right answer, only a right answer for right now!
Old 02-05-2013   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Greetings mr_diggs. I live in bayfield and would be happy to meet you and try to answer your questions. happy boating.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013   #4

Bayfield, Colorado
THANKS GUYS!! Mania, I lived in Baytucky until 1995.....just moved back last year! I'm not going to expound on what initial gear I've chosen, I feel that stuff is easily researched. I'm here to learn how to make the most of the experience, even if I have to jump the fence and practice on LePlatt's pond (Mania knows).
Old 02-06-2013   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Hey Mr. Diggs...welcome to the awesome world that is river tripping. Hope your river tripping goes well. There's a sweet community around you...
Old 02-06-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Welcome!
I'm also new to the forum, but an old cranky river rat. Glad to help where I can, but it's been a few seasons (OK it's been 30 years since my last GC trip) so my advice will likely be dated.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
SWR

I'd highly recommend taking a swift water rescue class ASAP. I'm fairly new and that was the best newbie advice I received. At the time it seemed like a lot, but it really gives you the background for how to deal with the situations that can arise on whitewater.
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #8

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issip View Post
I'd highly recommend taking a swift water rescue class ASAP. I'm fairly new and that was the best newbie advice I received. At the time it seemed like a lot, but it really gives you the background for how to deal with the situations that can arise on whitewater.
Sound advice from a newbie. You need to know what to do when the shit hits the fan. As well as learn how to minimize shit hitting the fan.
Old 02-06-2013   #9

Bayfield, Colorado
Sounds good! Shit + fan course-search underway! Thanks again guys!
Old 02-06-2013   #10

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Just want to let you know up front that rafting is highly addictive. It starts out by dominating your thoughts. Then your relationships get stressed. You blow all you money on cam straps. You'll end up face down on a beach with sand in places you wont admit to. Are you really prepared to go down that path. Cuz there is no one that can help you. You will only feel at home on the river and long for it when your gone!