New to whitewater. - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2008   #1

New to whitewater.

Hey fellow paddlers,

i am new to whitewater first off i wanted to buy a play boat which is what i found the right size for my hight i fit but its tight. Which leads me to my first question i went a tested my new play boat out today only on some flat water just to see how it reacts and how it paddles get a feel of things before i get on any kind of river. well heres my issue one i am a tall man 6' 3" so i had a hard time fitting into most play boats anyways. So here was my purchas last weekend i bought a dagger super ego only a few years old i dont know the year. went to the local tidal area. and hoped in no problem well its tight so i had some issues getting in with the gear i had on.which i wasn't properly outfitted with the right stuff considering i have been in a nice comfy ocean kayak for a few years now. but it was only a trial.. so i started paddling up to the creek that flows into it where i know there was some small waves to play in. it should have taken me like maybe 45min to and hour to paddle considering i have been paddling for seven years i figured it wasnt much of a big deal. but it took me an hour and a half. cause i had to keep getting out cause my legs were killing me going dead which they do in my ocean kayak but in this boat they hurt pain fully... so i got out a few times the headwater was only about 2 miles at the most. which would have taken me no time to get to in my ocean boat.... well i got about 3/4 the way and decided it wasn't worth it turned around and headed back. any advice to keep my legs alive or just keep the pain from coming. i hope some of you have the same problems. also how should i be layering on cold weather days. i am a hiker kayaker and snowboarder. so i usually layer in polypropylenes and fleece which seemed to work for a while i didn't wear any dry pants which didn't matter cause i got no water inside my boat.. and i wore my gore tex rain coat cause i usually wear that on cold weather days at the ocean whats a recommended layering for cold weather whitewater.. or am i embarking on something that is going to be like this pain in my legs all the time.. i don't mind the falling asleep im used to that im not used to the pain.. Somebody help

thanks,
Anthony

monkeyman164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008   #2
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I'd arrainge the foot foam if it has any 1st.

Then get the seat moved right and the back band. If that doesn't do it. You'll have to either stand it or try something else. I boated Daggers for years and loved the way they fit, but usually had a dead leg in the play boats. Haven't noticed it as much in my Jackson or Bliss-Stick. Good luck. When you get my age you start trading performance for comfort, but I've found in my 2005 Jackson I could have both. not true of my 2007 though. My RAD 175 (Bliss-Stick) hurts so I can only stay in a half hour or so, but my Spec. 5.9 or RAD 180 I can stay in all day. I've found the first time after a season teleskiing is tough, but as my tighs get back to normal, I fit much better. Have fun, that's what it's all about. Ron
ps. one thing I've found that makes way more difference than you'd think is the thickness of my shorts and my booty socks. it seems a 1/4" makes a lot of difference in a small boat. For layering it's Poly, fleece and dry top. Toaster mitts for the hands and a tope and I've never gotten cold even with ice all over my top and jacket. See you, Ron.
Old 03-23-2008   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
The super ego is probably the least comfy dagger I have ever paddled. Hardly any room for feet in those low volume boats. The agent is a very comfy boat as are many of the other new playboats.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008   #4

the agent

one of the big reasons i bought the super ego was because of my weight the agent only has a 145 pound weight range for some reason.. The super ego has a 220 me weighing 225 to 230.. i have no problems paddling it at all. im thinking or doing some remodeling to the seat to make a better fit for myself.. take the old plastic seat out and lower it a bit some how. the plastic seat that is in there is pushed all the way to the back and i cant get it to go back any farther... any suggestions on how to make a bit more room.. just enough to brace my legs in and have some room for the toes. not sure what i should do.. i fit its just tight and the legs fall asleep and somehow i get a pain in them very bad.. hope some of you can help me out.
monkeyman164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #5

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The SuperEgo was THE most comfortable boat I've ever owned, including creek boats and going back to the old days (Mirage,Dancer, Crossfire). I have 34" inseam and size 12 feet so if your feet are dying it is probably because the hip pads are pinching you - try flaring them towards the front. In other words, narrower in the back than in the front. Also, you won't get much in the way of footwear in there. Try NRS rodeo socks. I think I may have got my 5.10 Mavericks in there but don't recall. If it was a foot shorter, I might still be paddling that boat, it rocked and as loose as all get out.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Caspian, you are just dogging me right? The MOST comfy? Really?
Old 03-25-2008   #7

I second what Caspian says, the most comfy boat I've ever sat in to date, was still my old SuperEgo. At 6'4", size 13 feet, 36" inseam, it just fit me perfect. I have yet to find a newer boat (including creek boats) as comfortable...but I also haven't sat in a Jackson MegaRocker yet.

Anthony, I'm responding to your pm.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #8

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Dead serious - I once had a friend visit from MN and we did a March Westy day trip. I gave him the SuperEgo so he could play and I took my Blunt. Halfway down I made him switch because I was so uncomfortable. The SuperEgo is still one of the best play boats in ocean surf from what I hear.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote