New to the area - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-25-2007   #1

New to the area

Hey all,
I am new to the Denver area and was wondering if there were any boaters who would be interested in showing me a few rivers out here. I am off work Friday through Sunday, and comfortable with class III rapids, possibly higher. I have been a guide in WV on the New and Gauley rivers since 2000, but paddling hasn't come that easily for me. I have paddled the New and the Lower Gauley, but not the upper Gauley (in my kayak). If anyone would be willing to help me get more comfortable in my boat I would appreciate it. I can read water just fine, but am not a very aggressive paddler and would like some company on the water. Thanks!

outdoorsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007   #2
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Hey Grl, welcome to CO! I am in SW CO but can recomend some links for a new front ranger. Coloradokayakers.com is a good resource for II-III paddlers, mostly from the front range area. Also coloradowhitewater.org has a lot of training and cruises for lots of abilities. Their training camp is May 18-20 on the Ark. If you ever take a road trip this way, my wife and I boat a lot of III-IV. Have fun! Leroy
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #3

We've got a good crew and pretty much go somewhere every weekend. Typically a few of us hit up a tougher section and then meet the rest of the group for something III-IVish. We usually depart from Golden or Boulder area Friday night or Saturday morning and paddle as much as possible over the weekend. The girls in the group are always looking for more girls to paddle with, so I know they'd love it, right Tina? We'd be happy to show you around.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Outdoorsgrl, watch out for the flood of buzzards....I'm just laughing inside about how the buzzards will reply to this. Some of the buzzards out there probably just thought they read:

SFP, new to area, ISO good times for NSA paddle sessions, prefer aggressive individual that will help me take things to the next level.

Welcome to Colorado! I guided a few seasons on Gauley with ACE, what a great river. You have a few weeks before flows really increase around here and produce the goods. Pray for more mountain snow as the snowpack is not very good this year.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #5

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
The girls in the group are always looking for more girls to paddle with, so I know they'd love it, right Tina? We'd be happy to show you around.

COUNT
Hey Outdoorsgrl,
Count is right on.

We have a wide range of skill levels in our "group" class 2ish female boaters to class Vish female boaters...this past weekend there were more ladies from Boulder on the river than guys ... I was so excited, we represent well from up here.

We are going to paddle something on Sunday but we donít know what. Maybe Cross Mountain, Dowd chutes, Upper Blue, Upper/LowerClear Creek/Dumont/black rock, Shosho...It kind of depends on the water level.

Let Derk and I know what you are up to in the next few weeks and we will totally hit the water.

Happy Paddling,
Christine

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #6

Haha

I love the rearranged version of my paddling thread TimWalker. I can tell you've been in the whitewater industry before. I worked for Rivermen and can't say I knew very many Aceholes. J/K Anyway, thanks for the welcome, maybe I'll see you out there.
Christine,
Let me know if you are going to be doing something on Sunday. I would love to get out there but would prefer to start on something that isn't quite so raging. Thanks for the invite.
outdoorsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #7
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Shosho is pretty easy III, Grl. I have never paddled back East so I can't compare, but it may be a good place to start if anybody is doing it.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote