New to New Mexico - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2016   #1

New to New Mexico

I moved to Roswell NM back in December. Havent really boated much in the past 6 months but I come from the Southeast. Need beta on runs in NM. I realize I may be some distance from whitewater but I don't want to miss the spring runs.

I paddle mostly hard class IV and light V. I have a lengthy list of rivers in the US and a few other countries if you need my resume. Looking for boaters in northern NM.

Thanks
Drew Armstrong
901-five69-5eight52 call or text

redrock438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There is a "New Mexico Whitewater Kayaking" group on the Facebook. Introduce yourself there too. Really nice folks there who will give you all the beta and coordinate for trips.

The NM whitewater is up north of Santa Fe near Taos. The Racecourse, Taos Box, UTB, and Embudo creek are what you're probably going to be after.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Some years, the Gila in western NM and the Salt in AZ are also runnable, but they're already done for this year. You might also want to consider the Rio Chama in northern NM for good scenery, but its only class III- at its most difficult and mostly class II or easier. Rivers draining the southern slope of the San Juans in southern CO like the Animas and Piedras are also within a reasonable drive as well.
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016   #4
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Hey Drew, Welcome To the Desert....
I live up north here by Santa Fe, but went to paramedic school at ENMU in Roswell and commuted weekly for 14 months, so I know the drive all too well...it is pretty brutal.
It is 3 hours 30minutes more or less (mph...) To SF.

from Santa Fe it is another 1hr:20m to Pilar (Racecourse,Embudo) and @ 2hrs to Taos So 5-7 hour drive to the Rio Grande

And another 3-5 hours from SF to Durango or Buena Vista, Colorado for the CO class V classics... (9 hours from Roswell)

.which sucks. but when you do make it i would be happy to paddle the III-IV stuff and fill you in some beta. I wont be going in to the class V stuff so much, but theres always folks around Taos who wont miss it if theres water.
i will pm you my #. cheers , Abe
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #5

tennessee, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2013
Never been to Mexico perhaps, next year
Old 04-08-2016   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock438 View Post
I moved to Roswell NM back in December. Havent really boated much in the past 6 months but I come from the Southeast. Need beta on runs in NM. I realize I may be some distance from whitewater but I don't want to miss the spring runs.

I paddle mostly hard class IV and light V. I have a lengthy list of rivers in the US and a few other countries if you need my resume. Looking for boaters in northern NM.

Thanks
Drew Armstrong
901-five69-5eight52 call or text
Hi Drew!

Welcome to New Mexico! I worked as a math instructor in Carlsbad before moving to Albuquerque, I've been to Roswell many times. I don't know of any paddling groups in your area, there is the Adobe Whitewater Club in Albuquerque that meets the second Tuesday of each month. There's also a Greater Albuquerque/Santa Fe Kayak Meetup you should talk also. Well, probably the two big class 5 runs I can think of in the state are the Upper Taos Box and Embudo Creek (Rio Embudo) north and south of Taos, NM respecively. The American Whitewater river direction for New Mexico is here. And there's also the USGS flows page for New Mexico rivers/creeks. I've never ran these sections myself (I'm a class 3 to 3+ rafter) but they are supposed to be pretty hair raising!

In addition, you have the Lower Taos Box (15 miles, class 4) which is a classic wilderness run in NM that takes you down the Rio Grande Gorge west of Taos. The major guide book for the Rio Grande in northern New Mexico is Paul Bauer's The Rio Grande, which includes the Upper and Lower Taos Boxes.

Let me know if you have any questions!

stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Thanks for passing along info 242.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote