new to kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2015   #1

leeds, Alabama
new to kayaking

just got me a boat about a month ago and have done one trip down a class ll/lll river only swam one time but could tell i need some training on boat control and definitely learn a roll im about 4 hours from the nantahalla river in NC and they have a school i wanna do but dont know if i should go for the 5 day or just do a 1 day camp i dont expect to come out rdy to go just want something i can build on how much do you think can be taken out of a 1 day class

jesse374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
If I had the time and the money, I'd do a five day class.
Old 08-19-2015   #3

pnw, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
If I had the time and the money, I'd do a five day class.
ditto
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
You have a much better chance of having a roll figured out at the end of the 5 day course. If you can find someone to teach you to roll elsewhere I would go for the 1 day until you have a roll.
Old 08-25-2015   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
What kind of boat do you have?
Old 08-25-2015   #6

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
I saw this paddle float thingy the other day. I was thinking that I might get one for myself!

https://youtu.be/-jZmPt6b5rE

I suggest the EJ roll videos or something simular and video yourself.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #7

leeds, Alabama
i bought a LL flying squirrel love it so far and yes i saw that paddle float hing too but looks like it may teach you to count on it to much and less on your skill but it also looks like it helps alot
jesse374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Kick it really, really old school and grab yourself a copy of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Animated.../dp/B002FL5EG2

Of course classes would be the best option if you can afford them. The next best thing is to find someone who's willing to mentor you and paddle a lot of beginner runs while you figure it out. But you can teach yourself; that's pretty much what I did 25 years ago. I swam a lot & spent a lot of time in pools and lakes learning to roll. Now you can get tons of instruction on YouTube, as Dbagkayaker suggested.

However you do it, just don't fall into the trap of becoming overconfident and trying to paddle something that will spank you to the point of losing your nerve, and don't paddle class III alone while you're learning. Take your time stepping up through river difficulty. If you're within 4 hrs of the Nantahala, you have tons of options. (Unless you're in Raleigh- not much around there)
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse374 View Post
i bought a LL flying squirrel love it so far and yes i saw that paddle float hing too but looks like it may teach you to count on it to much and less on your skill but it also looks like it helps alot
Barry over at Mountain Sports Kayak told me that the float on the paddle actually helps you focus LESS on what you're doing with the paddle and MORE on what you're doing with the rest of your body (hip snap, head down). I still don't have a solid roll, but I'll still go paddle some shit...
Ditto on the William Nealy book. It has great illustrations of water dynamics and goes over a lot of good basic skills like ninja paddle strokes, assessing your comfort level (if you don't have enough saliva to spit, maybe you shouldn't run it), rolling, and good swimming vs bad swimming, plus he's hilarious. EJ's videos are good too... practice your brace lots and lots. EJ swears that if you have a good brace, you have a good roll.
Old 08-26-2015   #10

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
Kick it really, really old school and grab yourself a copy of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Animated.../dp/B002FL5EG2
This is really good advice. Great book. Best advice of the book "think positive thoughts."

Also, per your boat choice...great boat, but consider adding a late-model play boat to your quiver, which will allow you to practice getting thrown around and sharpen your roll. Dagger Kingpin, Pyrhana 420, Jackson Star series, Wavesport ZG or Project, etc.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking