New to Colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
New to Colorado

Hey everyone, I just moved to Colorado from Pennsylvania. I worked last summer as a guide on the Lehigh River (lameness), and a few times in Maryland at the new ASCI play park.

I just got into Kayaking last year while I was guiding, but was in my boat almost every day last summer. So I am a rookie for sure, but I've paddled a lot in my short history. I'm comfortable running class III-IV as long as they are a little more mellow in terms of creeking.

I'm mostly a play boater/river runner, but wouldn't mind giving creeking a try as long as it isn't too nuts. I currently have a Wavesport EZ, but I am in the market for a full on play boat (preferably a Jackson Allstar). I'm also looking to pick up an AIRE Puma Raft, or something comparable, for when my girlfriend gets out here in June. She isn't keen on flipping over in a kayak, but loves to go rafting. So I want to pick up a raft in the near future so she can get out on the water with me.

I'm looking to meet some fellow paddlers who can show me the Colorado ropes, if you will. I know there is a ton of great white water out here as I have been reading about a lot of it. However, I'm a firm believer that paddling alone is a terrible idea. So if you don't mind spreading some knowledge and meeting a new face, please let me know. I'm itching to get on the water, and look forward to meeting you! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008   #2

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hey,
I am going to steel his post a little. I am in the same boat. I am from Maine and just moved here last Nov. I am a solid class IV paddler. I have been doing it for 4 years. I currently only have a Jackson allstar. So right now looking for more riverrunning play stuff. Would love to get the creeking thing down but need some more gear. I have taken swiff water rescue. I will be teaching a few friends this summer and just wondered where the class 2-3 stuff is. Also Need people to show me the runs for my first time. Rather not have to scout every little thing. I live in Edwards and will be relocating to Vail in May. Anyone willing to show me some stuff? Not looking for a babysitter to save me when I swim... cause that shouldnt be a problem.

Contact info:
Jon Comeau
Email [email protected]
j.p.comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
Hey, no worries bud. It actually be cool if all the new people just keep posting in this thread. I'm all about bumps! Good luck finding people.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
first off go buy yourselfs a copy of the new testement, it's a must if you live in the rocky mountians.

second step grab a hold of the cahonnes as soon as the shit starts running.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #5

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Hang out at some of the play parks. People are usually pritty friendly. Problem is nothing is really running right now.

MR
Old 03-26-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
Hang out at some of the play parks. People are usually pritty friendly. Problem is nothing is really running right now.

MR
Haha, yea. That was my plan once stuff starts running, but the bug is itching pretty bad. So I figured I'd try and start posting on here to scratch the itch a little.
Old 03-26-2008   #7

Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Probably the first thing you should do is buy your buddy a plane ticket out there because he's too poor from working a shitty job as a lifty to afford a plane ticket. Then you should let him stay in your swank apartment and then we could run some awesome whitewater together. I'll also bring all my college work along too so that you can finish it for me. And beer...PBR.......I'll be watching the mailbox for my ticket!
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbieh589 View Post
Probably the first thing you should do is buy your buddy a plane ticket out there because he's too poor from working a shitty job as a lifty to afford a plane ticket. Then you should let him stay in your swank apartment and then we could run some awesome whitewater together. I'll also bring all my college work along too so that you can finish it for me. And beer...PBR.......I'll be watching the mailbox for my ticket!
Haha, How are you gonna run anything if you don't have a boat fool! Think it through man (must be why your still in school). Come out here man!
Old 03-26-2008   #9

Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Haha, How are you gonna run anything if you don't have a boat fool! Think it through man (must be why your still in school). Come out here man!
I just read the article on Jacksons website about how to check a boat onto a plane, I've got it all figured out. I wish I could but not until I get some more money in the bank. Maybe when I get my first PW check I'll buy a ticket out there. On a brighter note if it rains like it should out here I'm gonna be running Tumbling Waters creek over by the Toh and finishing up the top section of that creek at rockport. WOOT
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I'd be up for running some stuff; I creek to class V, but like the IV stuff quite a bit. It'd be fun to get some kayak/raft trips in too. Are you living in Denver?
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote