New River McCreery to Thurmond - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-09-2008   #1

Richmond, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1990
New River McCreery to Thurmond

Wondering if this section of the New is Rowable. If so is it fairly straight forward to row or is high skill level required.

Thinking about rowing this and camping. Was even thinking of extending the trip to Glade Creek to Stone Cliff. What do you guys think of this stretch. A buddy as asked about coming and owns a sit on top kayak and was wondering if it is too rough for that type of boat. Let me know what you guys think.
Tryin to get a last run in so hope I got the right idea.

Thanks

Lax71vcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008   #2

The water is extremely low on this section this time of year so anticipate it being boney. As far as the run it is pretty straight forward. I dont know your paddling ability but Silo rapid tends to push you towards the river right bank. There are two rocks there that are undercut. At this level probably only 1, the other will be dry on the bank. They are not really bad, but I just wanted to make you aware.

Awesome camping along this section and great fishing this time of year. don't forget to bring plenty of beer!
WestVirginiaWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #3

Winter Park, Colorado
this section is great. super easy to row. I did it as a first year raft guide. like WVW said Silo will pull you. just set up early and pull hard. Rudy's is one of my favorite rapids. It is so fun, with no consequences. I have guided duckies and sit on tops, as well as beginner kayakers through this section. Even going through Cunard would be fun and taking out before the Gorge starts.
Boat-ERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008   #4

Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the info couple more things

Another question....
I own an Aire Puma 11.5 feet long and am thinking of paddling with 3 people and light weight camping gear (other than the beer) on this section and leaving the sit on top kayak of my friends at home. Will this be too much weight for this level or will we be fine. Wouldn't be a problem to bring the kayak just trying to make this as easy as possible. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again

OH one more question.... Any outfitters running shuttle services for this stretch that you are aware of? Thanks
Old 10-12-2008   #5
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
the commercial companies allow five year olds to go on this section. also allow customers to paddle duckies by themselves. if you have any whitewater experience at all, you will be fine. you probably won't even get wet in a raft. however, this section is usually done as a day trip at higher water levels. if the water is low, it could be done as a two day. going on to cunard would be a good call to make the trip about three or four miles longer.

stone cliff and thurmond are basically the same. there is about a mile of pretty much flat water between thurmond and stone cliff. the public access is at stone cliff. i don't think there is public access at thurmond anymore.

glade creek is a creek on the river left side of the river several miles upriver from prince/mccreery. i really don't think there is any access at glade creek, but i could be wrong. it's been about ten years since i was living in wv. you can go up to where route 64 crosses the new and then drive down the river right side to a put in called meadow creek. from there it is probably ten miles to mccreery/prince.

as boat-ers said, rudy's is a fun rapid, but it is after the stonecliff/thurmond take out. if the water is low watch out below rudy's. there is a bunch of nasty looking metal sticking out of the water. i believe it was an old train that somehow ended up in the river.

there is a good campsite below silo rapids on the left. don't camp any farther down river than silo rapids unless you are going on to cunard. if you go on to cunard then you can camp below thurmond where there is no road access. the road into thurmond runs up the river left side and then crosses a bridge to the right side and goes up further to thayer. thayer is a little "town" on the river right. there are a few houses there. it is in the middle of one of the longest pools on this section, and other than the railroad tracks, will be some of the only signs of civilization on this stretch. after that pool the river will start turning to the left. the next major rapid is silo.

the local rednecks like to come down to the river for some car camping, drinking, and fishing. some of the beaches with road access below silo rapids and above thurmond are completely trashed with broken beer bottles and various other garbage. not to mention the drunken rednecks stumbling through your campsite in the middle of the night.

btw, i would definitely bring the sit on top.

i don't know if anyone is running a shuttle service there. you might get more local info from boatertalk. most people on mt. buzz are in colorado and not that well versed with class 2-3 sections of water in wv.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #6

Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the info

This is really helpful! I'll check out boatertalk and see what comes up there. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2008   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
At 2.5-3 feet "Surprise Rapid" is the best hit on the New! It can flip you quick though. It's an easy class 3, but the hole hits like a truck!

If the water is low (which it usually is this time of year) you should consider running the Lower New. It's a great ducky trip at Low water. Tough to fit oars through though...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #8
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
i'd be really careful doing the lower new. the majority of deaths on the lower new happen at really low water levels when some of the undercut rocks are the most dangerous. if you can hook up with someone else that knows it then go for it. it really isn't that hard at low water, but there are some real danger spots. i've rowed equipment boats down the lower for overnight trips at around 900 cfs. so unless the water is lower than that you could probably row it just fine.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
rhm is right. There are some sketchy spots at low water, but probably not any of the spots that you would swim if you can handle class III. If you need help with a shuttle, equipment, or want a guide to come with you on the lower - with your boat or on duckies, call Rob Dobson at West Virginia Adventures. His number is (304) 465-2025 and his guides are always hungry enough to run a shuttle. He's right across the street from Thurmond.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote