New River Dries !!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-24-2004   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
New River Dries !!!!

Unreal. The sickest waves I have ever surfed without a doubt. Being back east this year, although only a few days, is one of the best trips I have ever made. There is water everywhere and tons of sunshine. We have been surfing the put in waves the past couple of days and loving it. The crowds pick up at times but the rides are endless. As a side note, young Ben Guska has really been turning heads there. He goes as big as anyone and lands em'. He and the Wave Sport gang have a rolling rodeo on the upper Gauley today (Wave Sport Open) that is going to be pretty cool. Hoping it takes some of the crowds out of the New so we get some more surf time. Im stoked to get a 6.3 Crazy 88 today from Keith and give it a try on those three perfect waves!
If you have some time, im tellin' you, drive to W.V right now. it is pretty epic and the Fest should be all time.

Reporting from paddlers paradise,
hobie

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004   #2

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
WOW

Hobie is 100% right. These wave blow anything I have ever seen or been on away. You surf one, and once you get tired, or flush, you have 2 more behind you to choose from. Funny thing is, jimmy b. and the WS crew says this isnt even the best level. I don't see how it can get better. Keep an eye on Localpaddler.com, there will be an update with some footage and we have over 700+ High-res pics to choose from! See ya'll this winter!!!!
Also, the WaveSport open (rolling rodeo) went well. Over 80 competitors competed for free! Everyone had a great time, and the crew is going over all the video right now. We had a home made launch ramp into pillow rapid amongst a hole competition, and some rock spins at the sweets. I love it out here, if you havent been, IT is worth the 130$ plane ticket! weather is great, people are great, and of course, the paddling is great!

Ben Guska

p.s. its great seeing all these CO folks out here. Its awesome to be able to surf something like this with a lot of your friends from back home! If you didnt make it out this year.......try too next year!!!!!
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004   #3

What is the flow to watch for?
benciven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
nice report boys. psyched that you guys have hit it right. Stoked to see some pics. I am making my third trip in a month out to Montreal next week under the cover of "work" ...Lachine...in the immortal words of Hobie, yeah dog...so I won't make it back to WVA this year. Ben, looks like things are moving in Glenwood. When will you be back?
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004   #5

Bum
Flows are on the thurmond gauge, thats what i look for anyways, and i think anything above 30,000 is good. We were there at 35K and it was fun! Lachines are the shi* as well! I was up there a few weeks ago. Mike, I will be back in Gws hopefully around the 3rd of Oct. Glad to hear things are moving forward! Im stoked for this upcoming spring/summer!

I'll try to get some pics for yall tonight!

Ben Guska
Old 09-27-2004   #6

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Just got back to town and what a trip it was. Literally. Lots of late nights and plenty of paddling to be had. The Dries ran till Friday about 3pm and then the dam was shut for the weekend. Gauley was good and the fest was a blast as usual. The late night boxing (or shall I say early Sunday morning boxing) was not to be missed. About a hundred people turned up for that. Paddling the Upper G Sunday was a task since Christine Jackson gave me a huge bottle of tequila to walk around with and "share" with everyone. Lots of Colorado boaters on hand as well. Great to see you all there.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #7

Bum
well, if you managed to get a ticket, and come out.....you are in luck, upstream flows read 40+ grand heading our way.....guessing they will be in tomarrow!!!!! I can't wait!!!! SEE YA THERE

BEN
Old 09-29-2004   #8

Paddler
The Dries was sick here is a Gallery to check out!

Check out this Dries Gallery:

This picture is from the most recent session.

That session was a super fun session to watch because there was tons of paddlers out there air it out. Hopefully the dries will run a bunch more this winter.