New on the CO scene - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2007   #1

New on the CO scene

Bored with Foxton and the various Poudre runs (Narrows not included), looking for a not too agro step up and folks to boat it with. Boating 36 years with lots of class V experience, first descents in CA, NZ etc, still have the skills thought he years add up, just a bit rusty in the head recently. My only boating buds are all intermediates. Like to get out and on something that feels like a creek with some gradient. Been on Gore, Arkansas, Slaughterhouse and a few others in the past. Lots of the front range stuff seems pretty full on to me. Are there some good runs where a portage or two turns it into good IV-V? Rapid pool? I can go any day of the week. Good safety/medical skills.

trailbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #2

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Don't you dare speak that way about the Poudre,son.

I'd insert an emoticon here but they all suck. Cant we get rid of these queery smiley faces and get some with hell horns flying the bird.
Old 07-03-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'd say bailey and black rock are the two front range runs you are looking for. Both are mostly IV to IV+. Both have two V-/V rapids (depending on levels) that you can scout and walk if needed. Both have big daddy V/V+ to run or gape at the fury.

Both have some tighter technical lines, and both are kick ass fun and running now.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #4

no offense intended, spent lots of time on the Poudre in college

Just found it to be a big wave train crankin' downstream at the earlier flows. I like big rocks and drops and eddies to play with
Old 07-03-2007   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
stick to the poudre

stick to the poudre you want something more than the lower poudre hit up big south or run the narrows more!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
If you paddle around Golden long enough you'll meet the guys who run Black Rock regularly and those are probably the guys you are looking for if paddling with your regular crew is not pushing you enough. Black Rock is at 566 and on its way down. This is the time for first-timers to hit it. Pretty soon it won't be real Black Rock and it will be too late. If I were you I'd post on the Trip Planner with a request for someone to take a virgin down Black Rock (I'm assuming you haven't run Black Rock yet if you are complaining about boring runs around here).
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
If you paddle around Golden long enough you'll meet the guys who run Black Rock regularly and those are probably the guys you are looking for if paddling with your regular crew is not pushing you enough. Black Rock is at 566 and on its way down. This is the time for first-timers to hit it. Pretty soon it won't be real Black Rock and it will be too late. If I were you I'd post on the Trip Planner with a request for someone to take a virgin down Black Rock (I'm assuming you haven't run Black Rock yet if you are complaining about boring runs around here).

No complaints about lots of wild stuff, just looking to fit in the right slot after some time away. The step up seems a big one around here.
Old 07-05-2007   #8

Hoping there's more

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbuilder View Post
No complaints about lots of wild stuff, just looking to fit in the right slot after some time away. The step up seems a big one around here.

Than just Black Rock and Bailey that fits into what I'm looking for. Pic's of Cheeseman look like what I'm talking about, though that may be too tough for my taste.
Old 07-05-2007   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
then go do numbers at 900, creeky kinda feel without being tough
Old 07-05-2007   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
F-in picky about your runs, no? You want something IV-Vish near the Front Range, pool drop character, and not on the Poudre, Arkansas, Colorado, S. Platte, or Clear Creek? In fact you prefer something with drops like Cheeseman, but without the difficulty. I'm thinking a plane ticket to Never Never Land might be order.

I suggest you go over to eddyflower.com, read through all the run descriptions, and if there's something that fits the bill, post here about it, because there's probably a lot of people that would be interested.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote