New member, close to Charlotte! - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2009   #1

New member, close to Charlotte!

I did not see an introductory section, if you have one can a mod please move this to the proper area?

My name is Ricky and I am just now getting into paddling. Over the summer I bought a rough condition Riot 007 with a new skirt for $140, to my disappointment the boat doesn't really fit me so I will be giving it to my nephew and I will be looking for a new boat (Probably on Craigslist.).

I have a couple noob questions for you guys.

Can you roll with a regular zip up life jacket? I tried watching videos and reading up on tips but it still seamed like the life jacket was to bulky. (lol When money permits I will be getting a proper PFD.)

Do I need to learn how to roll to make runs as a noob at the USNWC?

Next Saturday I will be going to USNWC for a day of paddling. I am picking up a wet suit and a bigger boat next week and I would like to meet some locals.

TalkingGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009   #2
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingGoats View Post
I did not see an introductory section, if you have one can a mod please move this to the proper area?

My name is Ricky and I am just now getting into paddling. Over the summer I bought a rough condition Riot 007 with a new skirt for $140, to my disappointment the boat doesn't really fit me so I will be giving it to my nephew and I will be looking for a new boat (Probably on Craigslist.).

I have a couple noob questions for you guys.

Can you roll with a regular zip up life jacket? I tried watching videos and reading up on tips but it still seamed like the life jacket was to bulky. (lol When money permits I will be getting a proper PFD.)

Do I need to learn how to roll to make runs as a noob at the USNWC?

Next Saturday I will be going to USNWC for a day of paddling. I am picking up a wet suit and a bigger boat next week and I would like to meet some locals.
Welcome to paddling, Ricky!

Here are several answers for you.

First, yes, you probably need some experience before hitting the USNWC. I would strongly recommend taking at least some sort of formal lessons before trying whitewater. Kayaking is a super fun sport, but it can be really dangerous if you get in over your head. I believe they have instruction available at USNWC.

Second, older zip-up lifejackets can be used. Just fold up the bottom edge when you get in the boat.

Third, this is probably not the best site for finding USNWC locals. The Buzz is mostly Colorado and other Rocky Mountain region folks. Try Boatertalk.com for a stronger Southeast contingent.

Good luck with paddling - hopefully you'll be enjoying it for years to come!

Leland
www.NCCreeks.com
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #3

Weaverville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1997
another forum for lots of Charlotte folks...

MRP Online II
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009   #4

Columbia, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2006
Send a message via ICQ to rawkgant Send a message via AIM to rawkgant
USNWC

I believe the USNWC is closed right now for January and Feburary. Sometimes they will open during this time if a large group of rafters are booked.