New kayak advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2019   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
New kayak advice

Hi buzz town,
In the market for a new creek/river runner and would appreciate a little advice. I’m lookihg at the new series of boats like the 9r, phantom, Nirvana, etc. and wondering if anyone has input on those boats. I also have the chance to pick up a wavesport diesel 80 nearby. I’ve only paddled the old version of the diesel so not really sure how it’s changed or if it stacks up to the likes of the new line of boats coming out.

I mostly paddle class 4 and have a grand trip coming up. Occasionally I’ll hop in a class 5, but it’s rare. I also need a boat that can do ~4 night self supports. I weigh 170 lbs and paddle stong. Thanks for any advice y’all can provide and happy paddling!

LLubchenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
OK, I'll stir up a little crap for a what boat thread. But only because its been 6 days with no reply.

IMHO, Your question is irrelevant and does not matter! Harsh right? Seriously though, its the boater not the boat. all the boats you listed will exceed your skill set. That's really the truth and the reality of the situation. Your best option is to just pull the trigger on the one you like the most now and then boat the hell out of it and get a different one when ever you feel the need to. All the boats you listed, ROCK! stop stressing, buy one, and have fun.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I like the above advice. The newer class of boats tend to be faster, accelerate better, and have really dialed in kick rocker profiles which I think make them more fun and performant. But it's an incremental improvement. A Diesel would do just fine. ASAIK the Diesel never changed from its original design. Try demoing one of those newer designs and see if the advantages are worth the extra $. Based on your description of the boating you do, I'd maybe suggest buying the Diesel on the cheap and picking up a half-slice boat with the money you saved.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019   #4

Bazzaro, Free
I boated the diesel 80 a bunch. It was a bit big for me but the 70 seemed too small. I really liked the 80. Totally recommend it. It was a great lite over night boat for like the sfs and still surfed it up. It flat spins and carves really nice on waves. Back surfs forever.. I actually went backwards these days and found a JK Villain S. Love it. Who knew right?

I think people get all caught up in the "best" boat because they think they are in love and want to put a ring on it... hahaha. But really kayaking is more about pump and dump. Basically, find them mildly used and just bang them off everything until they tap out. I usually have three or four in the rotation at all times just in case one bails. Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2019   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks everybody! Sound advice for sure and I went ahead and bought a mamba (not part of the og considerations, but a fun boat to be sure). It's barely used and I'm boating it tomorrow. Psyched.
happy boating,
L
LLubchenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019   #6

Bazzaro, Free
Can't go wrong with a mamba. You'll love it!
Old 03-07-2019   #7

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Look at Pyranha Machno. High volume for the Grand trip. I love mine
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote