New guy, never whitewater kayaked before!!!! need help - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-20-2014   #1

washington, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2012
New guy, never whitewater kayaked before!!!! need help

Hi guys, my name is hunter. i do alot of kayak fishing and its my favorite sport to do. i have a few different kayaks, but they are all for fishing. i ran a creek a few weeks ago that was really high and fast for what i am used to, and i had a blast. now i am looking at whitewater kayaks. i do not want to buy a brand new one because i just bought a old town predator kayak brand new and cant afford another new kayak atm. i found a few different ones on craigslist, but i dont know enough about them to know what i want. im a 200lb guy, and i dont wanna do tricks and stuff i just wanna paddle fast whitewater starting from class 2 and 3 and working up to 5 eventually someday. anyone on here live by me that would wanna teach me a thing or two this summer? i found a used PRIJON CYCLONE kayak for sale, are they any good? also found a whitewater kayak that says its made by sleek but thats it and it comes with everything needed for 400 bucks. im just trying to get a few pointers on what to look for and what to get

kayakfishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Hunter,

Welcome to the hobby/obsession.

I don't think either of those boats are right for you. The Sleek (New Wave may be the manuf, Sleek is the boat's name) is really old, and intended for a smaller paddler I think.

The Prijon boat is probably also intended for a smaller paddler.

Keep looking though. You should be able to get a decent used boat for $400, but the rest of the gear will be more.

I think there's a Pittsburgh area kayaking club. You might Google for it and see. You'll probably have better luck finding local boaters, and local boats to buy there.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #3

washington, Pennsylvania
ok thanks, ill keep looking. what kinda kayk should i be looking for? i dont mind if its old but i just want something that is going ot work out good for me to learn with and to use in the years to come, i dont just want a beginner kayak, i wanna get a good one so its good for years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014   #4

washington, Pennsylvania
do you guys think this is a good deal White Water Kayak: Perception with All Gear & Accessories
Old 03-20-2014   #5

subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Welcome!

Check out boatertalk.com, it is the paddling forum for the east. they have an awesome gear swap and you should be able to find folks to help you learn and paddle with around your area pretty easily. Used gear is a great way to start out, shoot I've never had a brand new kayak and I've been kayaking whitewater for 6 or 7 years. Also check the gear swap here for skirt/paddle/pfd/helmet/drytop ect... Do your homework and make sure your getting the right gear, it will save you $ down the road.

BoaterTalk: GearSwap

This is such a fun sport and full of good people. Kayaking will take you to places you never would have imagined, show you some of the most beautiful places on earth, offer up constant challenges, and teach you a lot about your self and nature
turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #6

subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
That might be an alright deal, and you might just like it. When I started out I went for a similar deal then a month down the road, I sold all that outdated/awkward stuff. Went to a kayak shops spring kayak swap and bought a used demo boat/skirt/paddle/helmet and a new drytop. Wow!! what a world of difference that made, I was comfortable and my boat and gear gave me a shit ton of confidence, and got me down numerous rivers in Colorado, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, and Montana. Some of that gear is still going strong today.
turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfishinguy View Post
do you guys think this is a good deal White Water Kayak: Perception with All Gear & Accessories
My vote would be no its not a good deal and I doubt you would be comfortable in it.
Old 03-20-2014   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Hunter, if you're in Washington PA, this looks like your best bet for learning more about kayaking, gear, etc.: Three Rivers Paddling Club • View topic - Loyalhanna Beginners' Trip

They seem to be an active, beginner friendly group. Even if you don't go on this trip, just showing up and meeting some of these folks at some point would give you a chance to check out their gear and make some connections.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #9

washington, Pennsylvania
thanks guys im not going to get that one, but what kinda kayak should i be looking for?
Old 03-20-2014   #10

washington, Pennsylvania
what all do i need to get to get started?