New guy, has question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2013   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
New guy, has question

Hello all I'm Chris, just got my first Kayak, a piranha. I took it to the lake today just too get a feel for it, I had allot of fun but every time I paddled during my I don't know 5 or 6 stroke I'd always end up spinning the boat, any one know why??

Also,

What a good river to start on ? Like just enough moving water to push the boat......me and my girlfriend just got kayaks.

By the way I'm in lakewood Colorado.......

If anyone is close and would like someone to kayak with and doesn't mined the new guy I'd love to meet people involved in this sport my and my girl could get to know.......

Semper_1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013   #2

Denver,, exhaustion
White water kayaks are not made to go straight on flat water.

Spinning out when you are beginning is natural. It can be prevented though.
Focus on reaching forward and placing the paddle blade close to the boat then pull straight back... Focus on using you core ( back and abs ). With practice you will get better at it.
Also realize that what makes it turn so fast on you in flat water is a benefit in white water. It will trAck better on the river. .... You'll still spin out when you are learning but that will go away.

Local easy water will be the deckers run on the south fork of the south platte.
Or drive up to the Poudre and do filter plant.

Either way hang in there and have fun.
Old 07-09-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
A whitewater kayak is designed to spin as fast as possible. This is why it seems so easy when gaining momentum. As said before it had a lot to do with paddling properly and using your core to control your spin momentum. It is one of the challenges you need to master to kayak. It will come in handy when catching eddies or peeling out.

With good form you can control and benefit from the momentum. Remember that a stroke from your hip towards your stern will turn the boat but a stroke from your foot to your hip will propel the boat forward.

Also make sure your bow and stern are equally submerged, you don't want to be sitting to far back to where your point of displacement contact is under your ass, this will cause you to have no control.

For now I would say try to hit filter plant and deckers when it flows. Santa Fe and 470 south platte is a good run when it flows too. Upper c hopefully will get up soon and that's a pretty good learning float in many sections.
Riko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
New guy

Awesome, thank you for all your advice and information. Here is another question though, so if I try one of theses Rivers which I absolutely want too. How does one get back to the original spot of the car?????? I've always wondered that, you part and kayak down however many miles, then how do you get back to the car........?
Old 07-09-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
General procedure is you drop your gear and crew at the put in. Drive your car down to the take out. Park, find someone in the lot that is willing to take you. If that is not possible you start walking up the road with your thumb out. Always helps to have a little kayak gear on too. Like helmet and or unkempt beard.

There are also services you can hire on more popular commercialized runs. Probably not much help to you yet.

There is also the two car method. But it requires a lot of backtracking and less carpooling.

From time to time I will bring someone who doesn't paddle that is cool with waiting at the take out and reading a book or something like that.
Riko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #6

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dont let these guys lie to you Semper. Your boat is broken, i'd take it back and describe your problem to the people you bought it from. As for getting back to your car, just go straight to the put in and paddle. Worry about getting back to your car after you get off the river. After a while, you will get pretty good at hitchhiking.
justin.payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
I agree with what they said about paddling to not spin...but I'll add to it. If you've paddled flat water kayaks before, you probably put the blade in the water a few feet from your boat. In whitewater boats, you want it as close to the boat as possible and more of a straight line rather than a parabola. Again this is kind of repeating what was already said.

Filter plant is good. But what about one of the play parks anyone? I mean the drops and waves will be a bit bigger than a beginner run, but wouldn't these be a good spot to be able to run a drop or two, get out and hike back to the top and keep doing it? Just to get a feel for the waves. If you take a swim, hopefully there are people around or flat water just below the wave that you can retrieve all your stuff. I've always thought that play parks would be good learning spots too. And there will be experienced people there to help you with technique and rolls, rather than you floating the river alone and not getting any instruction. Just let them know you are new and for them to feel free to give advice.

And about hitchhiking and shuttling....any time I'm driving up the poudre and see someone on the side of the road wearing a helmet and PFD ( I think these two things help you stand out the most for drivers ) I immediately pull over to give them a lift. I am less likely to notice a person standing there in normal clothing but when I see gear I always pull over. Take off your wet skirt though just as courtesy for their vehicle.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #8

Denver,, exhaustion
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.payne View Post
Dont let these guys lie to you Semper. Your boat is broken, i'd take it back and describe your problem to the people you bought it from. As for getting back to your car, just go straight to the put in and paddle. Worry about getting back to your car after you get off the river. After a while, you will get pretty good at hitchhiking.
Like +1
Old 07-09-2013   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
When me and my friends first started we had the same problem like the other posters have said it just takes time to get it down youll start working muscles you didnt know you had have fun and be safe!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.