New guide, Suggest a paddle. - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2010   #1

Charlotte, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
New guide, Suggest a paddle.

I have just been through raft guide school and will be guiding this Summer at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC. It is class II, III, and IV Whitewater. What Paddles would you recommend?

sharpwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Use a customer paddle. You don't know enough to know what you want and you'll just lose it the first time you swim, which will be soon. Once you don't suck, which will be in a few years, ask your friends to let you try their paddles and see what you like. There are wooden guide sticks, fiberglass guide sticks, and cheaper Carlisle guide sticks if you're into the battle axe feel. You can decide how much money to spend based on how many times you have lost your paddle as a guide.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Whittle your own out of a tree that was struck by lightning.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010   #4

Charlotte, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
The place I am going to be guiding at is a manmade whitewater park. Both runs are about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile long. Even if I lose the paddle in a wave I will be able to retrieve it pretty easily. I have been looking in to the guide stick from Werner. What do you guys think of that?
sharpwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #5

Missoula, Montana
Why would you spend $150 on a "guide stick". All it is is a paddle that is a little bit lighter than the other ones. Are you making enough money to justify buying something for $150 that you could get for free from your employer? I seriously doubt it. There is no way that you could know right now what kind of shaft length you will be most comfortable with- a measurement that could change with different boats or over time.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
It's a great paddle. I've had mine for a few years now. Low water rocks will take a toll on the fiberglass over time, but it should last for you. I'm 5'7", run 14' boats with medium kick, and use the 166. I wouldn't go any shorter.

Rich fu<&ing rookies... I saw a rook on the Poo last year in a brand new Green Jacket with the fancy Sweet helmet and a nice paddle. That's more than he'll make in tips all summer... be careful man, there's something to be said for using used gear your first year until you figure out what you like. Plus people won't think you're a millionaire and make you buy all the beer.

Have a fun summer and welcome to the life.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #7

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I got a Werner Guide Stick halfway through my rookie year. I love it! It's so light! After doing several "doubles" over the course of a few days, my shoulder was killing me using the moose beater my husband guides with. I justified the cost of the paddle as comparable to the dr visits I was saving.

Yeah, you'll get made fun of for having the nice gear. But if it bothers you - your skin isn't thick enough.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #8

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Esquandolis

Missoula, Montana

Whittle your own out of a tree that was struck by lightning.

That would be "The Natural" thing to do.

Sorry, couldn't get the quotes thing to work
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #9

raft paddles dont matter anything works.

more importantly though, get yourself out of that concrete ditch and go raft guide on a river. It'll be worth it, even if you have to go through guide training again on the ocoee, nantahala, or what ever. You'll have a leg up with the experience that you already have. I promise you will appreciate the sport so much more if you do the real thing.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #10

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
"Guides" are soo rad....