New First Descent in Phoenix, Arizona - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2007   #1

in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
New First Descent in Phoenix, Arizona

warning: the video is short.

i just submitted the footy of our recent first descent of Salome Creek, AZ. Sweet sweet granite...amazing run. Great first d.

check out the REALLY short trailer at the home page.

www.huckinhuge.com/home.html

huck is in processing the materials and the story and description is coming soon. P.S. If you can't wait and you want to get on this thing like asap, just p.m. i'll send you the beta.

-Cody

codyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007   #2

regarding the 1st d on upper tonto

my friend mike and I ran the upper section of tonto in march of 2005, (horton creek down) which is way before these guys claiming it and I know it has been run before us. (please be careful when making claims on first ds). as for salome, you guys nabbed a good one that we were getting ready to hit, good for you. one question, where did you guys put in on salome? or far did you guys walk up the creek?
Hydroholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #3

in the ditches, ......
Hydroholic, i'll clarify that story on Huckin Huge for you...that description is the FIRST d.
That particular descent description and photos are from Jan 05...reference Tyler Williams new book Paddling Arizona for further clarification on that run and the first descent.

-Cody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007   #4

first d

i know it sucks once you claim somthing on paper, but let me clarify it one more time; we didint even get the first d on that run. IT WAS RUN BACK IN THE LATE 90's
Old 03-01-2007   #5

in the ditches, ......
Damn i really hate to start this again....reference:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/viewtopi...huckinhuge+com
(Props to to both crews there-i wish i could have been there!)

But the particular run you are talking about (horton creek down) has been run. In fact it was run by Jim McComb and Rob Rieterman in 1993. These are the two responsible for my kayaking obsession. They ran from horton creek all they way down to Tonto's Lower Box. One of Arizona's best multi-day creek runs, if not the best. The name of that run is "Tonto's Hells Gate".

This particular run (Headwaters Tonto) see: http://huckinhuge.com/Tonto_Creek_Headwaters_Story.html

It starts from above I206 down to bear flats (christopher creek's take out) Bear Flats. In fact, you have to run the lower box if you want to run full Christopher. And it had never been done, due to little to no water.

Enjoy the creeks...they'll be flown soon.

-Cody
Old 03-01-2007   #6

in the ditches, ......
(sorry) haigler....typo....that was the one run in 93. you are correct with horton.
Old 03-01-2007   #7

my bad

my bad, i did misread the article, but seriously, there have been underground descents of creeks in az for a long time. most kayakers from az never really paid attention to claiming any runs until an article appeared in paddler'about west clear creeks' first d in 98. and then the chris creek story on the buzz.

believe me, there have been descents of many creeks in az, but because of some legal issues and the fact that information was never passed on like it is now; first ds were unknown til now. i started paddling in a mirage and learned how to paddle on the verde and salt; the first play boat (whiplash) i bought was from a guy (who will remain nameless) who first deed the friggen upper upper, or as some know the flying v gorge of the salt. he was talking about tonto (in its' full glory) back around 96, 97. so believe what you want
Old 03-01-2007   #8

in the ditches, ......
for sure....and there are still more to come....thing is, one great paddler, Dugald Bremmer, who tragically pasted on the Silver Fork American, ran most of this solo....pretty cool story. Check out Paddling AZ and read the history of paddling in Arizona....documented from The Beginning from the most notable paddlers and reference when it comes to boating and what not in AZ (tyler williams and jim mccomb)

oh, and i p.m.'ed you another message....

-Cody Howard
Old 03-24-2007   #9

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
salami creek?

Sorry to bust your bubble, but my Friends and I slayed that turkey back in 01', in pack rafts. I am shure she wasn't a virgin then either. In fact I think the first D belongs to a tweeker from punkin center, an inertube and a case of beer. The thing is we were so immpressed with the canyon that we decided to keep it on the DL out of respect for it's beauty. Arizona is full of those type of paddlers so look before you shoot next time. P.S. your video looks awsome I loved it. NIce job keep up the good work. If you wana see some more AZ boatin video look no further.

All Best man

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhoward View Post
warning: the video is short.

i just submitted the footy of our recent first descent of Salome Creek, AZ. Sweet sweet granite...amazing run. Great first d.

check out the REALLY short trailer at the home page.

www.huckinhuge.com/home.html

huck is in processing the materials and the story and description is coming soon. P.S. If you can't wait and you want to get on this thing like asap, just p.m. i'll send you the beta.

-Cody
bob gnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #10

in the ditches, ......

I love it! I think I would enjoy nice beer as i swim class V.....lower salt tubers gone extreme....props

Tags
arizona