New class on waterfall drops! - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-04-2011   #1

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
New class on waterfall drops!

Sorry for the misleading title but I had to brag about this. As some know I teach Biomechanics at a Univ. Well, we have now reached the portion of class lecture which addresses fluid dynamics! I showed a kayak video at the beginning of class and they were like whoa!

Then I got the idea...I'm developing my next lecture (Tuesday) to address fluid reaction forces as a result of the landing and boof mechanics/strategies for reducing those forces! I am relating this to buoyancy and the density of the landing area (foamy vs pool) and consequences of high fluid reaction forces.

Sorry if you clicked on this thinking I was going to tell you about a class you can take

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011   #2

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Nice.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Sorry if you clicked on this thinking I was going to tell you about a class you can take
This is way better. Now I want to take your class!! Sounds awesome.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011   #4

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
This is way better. Now I want to take your class!! Sounds awesome.
i agree! sign me up. way better then the classes im taking now.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Now that I think about it more I could do a lecture on hull design when we get to dynamic fluid forces Thursday and as an intro on torque. Anyways, it sounds more fun than you think...seems that when you know the physics/mechanics behind how something works you sometimes lose the blissful ignorance.

As I lecture on spinal compressive forces and we attempt to model the fluid reaction force of say a 20ft drop into flat water I know the next lip I come up to I'm gonna have the whole lecture flash before my eyes
Old 11-05-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Anyways, it sounds more fun than you think...seems that when you know the physics/mechanics behind how something works you sometimes lose the blissful ignorance.

As I lecture on spinal compressive forces and we attempt to model the fluid reaction force of say a 20ft drop into flat water I know the next lip I come up to I'm gonna have the whole lecture flash before my eyes
I might not understand all the fluid reaction force business, but it still sounds totally awesome. Learning, for me, always more fun and sticks better, when I have a point of reference, but I hear ya on the blissful ignorance thing....
Old 11-05-2011   #7

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
I might not understand all the fluid reaction force business, but it still sounds totally awesome. Learning, for me, always more fun and sticks better, when I have a point of reference, but I hear ya on the blissful ignorance thing....
and i find that knowing all the dynamics behind anything i do in a boat helps me to be a better boater. its official im transferring. what school is this lecture at?
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
is this that blissful ignorance you are talking about. if so i prefer to be like this guy.

this is the version i prefer
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #9

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hmmm interesting. I am actually taking a small break from a massive problem set my bio-mechanics teacher assigned. We will not be discussing fluid dynamics this semester apart from drag forces. Too bad my professor is an endurance athlete rather than a kayaker.

The hull design of a boat affects the impulse upon impact from stomping boofs. (I'm sure you know this) You could possibly discuss the effects of rocker and a rounded hull vs a flat and planing hull. Idk, sounds like you have a solid plan in mind.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011   #10

I teach at the Univ of Ark in LR. That surfer is tarded!

By blissful ignorance I mean everybody here knows if you land flat in a pool from 20ft it's going to hurt. So don't do it! Do you really want or need to know the exact forces or loading rate (with plenty of assumptions) a strait spinal column will absorb/experience from a landing like that. Because next I cover human tissue properties. There we cover stress and strain (among other concepts) of bones/tissues. Then I can relate our FRFs from a bad drop into some theoretical upper limit our tissue can handle before failure and calculate some maximum heights to safely land given different kayak (relative to the water) positions. LONG story short...Boof/don't boof/tuck correctly or it's gonna hurt!

HOWEVER, now that I've kinda been discussing it, I think I can redesign a few lectures to tie all our kinematics/kinetics/fluid mechanics/tissue mechanics together for a real nerdy way of examining what we all enjoy!

I can't remember but someone here also teaches physics...RiverWrangler?