NEW CLASS FIVE KAYAKER - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2010   #1

Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 84
NEW CLASS FIVE KAYAKER

My daughter Meagan who just turned 9 last week asked me if she could go kayaking with me. She brought up the new Subaru commercial, and said that it looks fun. I looked at my magnetic calender and saw a picture of Lime Creek...HOW FUN!. Is there a two person canoe/ kayak that you folks would recommend? I want to be responsible; should I send her down alone, or go with her in a Tandem of sorts? Her name is Meagan. Thanks EMN.

ericnourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010   #2

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Well just because she is 9 I would not invest too much money into anything since she will grow out of it in a couple years. Plus in about 3 years when she is in the prime of puberty the only thing about boating she will care about is for some 15yr old boy to get her "man inside the boat." That being said for Lime I think you should go with whatever inflatable raft you can get at Wallyworld. Cheap, inexpensive and if you have a dog that wants to go pro then throw it in. This way if she outgrows it you are not out a ton of dough.

If you are too scared Eric, just put her in a tube so she can see what the water is like and send her down Lime. You just film and shout words of an encouragement like a good dad should.

Giver my regards to Meagan and let me know how shes doing in 9 years
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2004
That's the funniest response I've ever read.
jermdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010   #4

Jacksonville, Florida
Definitely wouldn't send her down alone on her first trip. Instead of buying something, why don't you find a rental place nearby ... maybe get a ducky or something and gauge her interest.

Adayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd get her one of those stable dolphin or shamu pool toys, they have good sturdy handles for her to hang on to while she's getting the hang of class vee.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #6

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I may have a Remix 47 and gear coming up for sale.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #7

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
My friend has Jib which she would fit in, and would only set you back $100-150 instead of k-2. If the roll session freaked her out you won't be out much out of pocket. I've alot of friends who paddle with their kids, and they would rather go on a Westwater trip than Padre Island for Spring break.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
I'd get her one of those stable dolphin or shamu pool toys, they have good sturdy handles for her to hang on to while she's getting the hang of class vee.
This should work for 1st Gorge, but you might want to get her some of those arm floaties for 2nd Gorge.
Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #9

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I hope not, that fist smile was huge. she just needs more time on flat water to get comfortable. i will show you the lower run this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LineDawg View Post
I may have a Remix 47 and gear coming up for sale.
as for your daughter Eric, consider this, just strap her to the back of your kayak right behind you, or let her stand up and hold on to the shoulder straps of your life jacket, like on the jackson home page. If memory serves me, i think that photo was right above gorilla.

TR please, and bring a throw bag.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #10

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnourse View Post
My daughter Meagan who just turned 9 last week asked me if she could go kayaking with me. She brought up the new Subaru commercial, and said that it looks fun. I looked at my magnetic calender and saw a picture of Lime Creek...HOW FUN!. Is there a two person canoe/ kayak that you folks would recommend? I want to be responsible; should I send her down alone, or go with her in a Tandem of sorts? Her name is Meagan. Thanks EMN.
To quote another post, "You sound like a psychiatrist who has answered your own questions. You have no money, but enough time to dwell on this issue."
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote