New Carbon Playboat..... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2009   #1

New Carbon Playboat.....

Project 54CX:
Developed to push the limits of hull design, outfitting design, construction materials and performance freestyle kayaking..............

Wavesport Project 54Cx

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009   #2

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
production already?

Wow, if only GM could've been as fast to put the new Camaro in production...................

Hard to believe WS is actually gonna make it - then again, why not, since the it's likely the same mold used for the OR show prototype.

So much for Dragarossi being the Lamborgini of kayaks..........

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #3

$2500?!? Conventional dirtbag kayaker wisdom tells me that if I'm going to spend that much more on a kayak that it better be stronger than any other boat out there...not the opposite. Remember the comp weight Riot kayaks (I think the Disco was 23lbs). Those were at least plastic, and we still broke them. Is WS going to warranty it after the first time it falls off the roof of a car? Jenious. I doubt shaving 15lbs off a boat is going to make it go so much bigger on a wave that it will be worth babying that thing everywhere you take it. It's not like the extra cost is because it's a green product.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009   #4
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
$2500?!? Conventional dirtbag kayaker wisdom tells me that if I'm going to spend that much more on a kayak that it better be stronger than any other boat out there...not the opposite. Remember the comp weight Riot kayaks (I think the Disco was 23lbs). Those were at least plastic, and we still broke them. Is WS going to warranty it after the first time it falls off the roof of a car? Jenious. I doubt shaving 15lbs off a boat is going to make it go so much bigger on a wave that it will be worth babying that thing everywhere you take it. It's not like the extra cost is because it's a green product.
agreed
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Why does it have to be stronger?

Every other sports industry in the world has this kind of model of whatever equipment they use. Something ultra high performance that is super light and responsive but rather fragile compared to its less expensive counterparts.

look at carbon fiber mountain bikes. They are about as light as you can get it, but one prang in the wrong spot and its toast. Clearly its not for the "conventional dirtbag kayaker" and fits a nitch for the ultra competitive guys out there, or just someone who likes having something special and high performing for its class. Clearly this isn't designed for going creeking with, but rather for shredding a wave or hole.

Seems like this would certainly be worth the money for a competition boat. Reducing the weight of the boat will make it that much easier to huck around and get into the air. It may only be 15-20 pounds lighter, but alot of that weight is in the ends of the boat and will make the rotational mass much less. Plus, Carbon Fiber looks cool and stuff.

The nice thing is, molds are cheap, and they can make them to order, so all they have to pay for is development, labor and materials. Its not like a plastic mold where they have to spend $80g to make a mold for it. Since they will only sell a few, and Carbon Fiber isn't cheap, $2500 really isn't that bad a price. Yeah, most aren't gonna spring for it, but it will certainly be worth it for some.

Look how many people bought a Sweet Strutter over a WRSI (me included) or an AT carbon paddle over a perfectly good Ainsworth battle club paddle. The percentage price difference there is about the same and its not a big deal in that case. Heck, the WRSI is probably more durable and better protecting, but people still feel justified getting the Strutter.

I'll never buy this boat, but I can see why they are making it and why it is worth that much.

JH
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #6

Paddling Since: 2002
I think is great. All playboats seem to be taking the same shape now. Messing with the materials is the next step to perfection. The price is very unfortunate and I know I couldn't afford it. Although, it's definitely a jump no one's taken in a while. Maybe the price will motivate boat makers to find something economic, light, strong (especially for creek-boating), environmentally friendly and never seen before.

My vote, send in the metallurgists!
Old 01-07-2009   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Cutch you said it first. think about how much your playboat fills up. one gallon is 10 pounds so 1.5 gallons is 15 pounds. i don't know about you but im use to playing with a little water in the boat so why no spend a 100 making a system in your boat that sucks up all water and makes your boat light the entire time? instead of making a boat that only a couple kids who have trust funds can afford. you could buy 3 great shape boats that would last longer than this one alone.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Just for the record, one gallon=8.34lbs.

Cool to look at, but for $2500, I will be buying other gear. Come to think of it, I need a kitchen box and a real cooler.....
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #9

I'd pay $2500 for a solid creekboat that would last 5 hard seasons (and had a legit 5 year warranty.) When the hell is someone going to invent that?
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Make your own?

Couldn't you make your own carbon/fglass boat for under $2500? I know some locals who made their own kayak polo boats out of carbon and I think they did it for under $500 a boat (materials). Granted, they had a lot of time to kill making mold and then the boats.

But assuming you had the time - couldn't you take/make a mold of your favorite boat, modify it slightly, and turn out your own Comp Weight boat? Granted, it wouldn't be as shiny and "perti", but a lot cheaper.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote