New boaters - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-04-2005   #1

New boaters

We are up to 40 members now, Thanks for all the intrest I guess some of us are going to meet up thurs. afternoon? at Union Chutes. Could be some carnage :P
Hope not!!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coloradokayakers/

rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005   #2

The Chutes at Union Ave aren't really class II/III. The waves are big. The eddies are powerful. The water is high enough that it is going over the spillway with many rocks in it. That would be an ugly place for a class II boater to be swept, in their boat or out of their boat.

A great class II/III run is the Chutes run below Deckers. It's fairly close to Denver, right up 285. The upper part is class II and gorgeous. The lower part is class III- but you can skip it.

If you want to do something in town, the S Platte from Chatfield to Union may be a nice run.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #3

Web Developer/Programmer
union for newbies

Hey, I'm a newbie, and a part of the group meeting thursday. I've paddlesd union numerous times up to over 1,000cfs. I've had numerous swims there some a little scary. I would also like to mention for those not familiar that the last drop can be pretty dangerous. Although I've only ever a seen a dog get worked in there, I've heard stories. I generally just skip it. Actually when it is high I will often stick to the top drop. Also hollywood(the second drop) can get weird(fun if you are good) at higher flows. I usually sneak it left.

cstrok makes a good point. Just make sure you are comfortable, and take the flows into consideration. I'll cross post to the group.
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
Ditto on the last drop, paddle, paddle, paddle! Not a place for a novice to do roll practice!

Union is lots of fun, (relatively) clean as most of the water comes from Chatfield releases, and a great place to get the feel for water.

Below the top structure, the water can be kinda funny at lower levels (200 - 350 cfs), which makes it a great place for beginners to get a feel for reacting, with the water.

Hve a great time out there folks!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #5

Boulder, Colorado
For people who are concerned about more difficult class 3 rapids, are there some that they can run without being too worried? are there any sections above or below the chutes that are good?

I am so happy there are so many prople who have signed up for the class 2/3 boaters list! can't wait to meet you all tomorrow!

Lauren
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #6

Boulder, Colorado
For people who are concerned about more difficult class 3 rapids, are there some that they can run without being too worried? are there any sections above or below the chutes that are good?

I am so happy there are so many prople who have signed up for the class 2/3 boaters list! can't wait to meet you all tomorrow!

Lauren
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #7

I see the Union Ave waves as being a good safe place for an aggressive class III boater to become a class IV boater.

A good place for a class II boater to become a class III boater is Denver Confluence or Golden at low water.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #8

My 2 cents = lots of II - III boats = lots of safety..
(this only really pertains to playing not the creekin' / river running)

y'all will have a lot of fun, I might have to come watch for a bit, maybe join in the fun.

Like everyone says you don't want to swim that last one.

Just Remember Beginners,
Quote:
If you don't swim, Your not trying.... and keep your heads up
Crazy Mo Fo J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #9

Old 05-04-2005   #10

i'll be there

but won't be swimmin or paddlin for that matter sooooo that should cut down on the carnage factor!!! the doc told me 2 more weeks till I can really paddle but I do get to go to the pool starting today. yeaaa for me...

If your new to pushy water and think you might swim I highly recomend avoiding the #3 drop as I have said I swam it at 350ish cfs and it pushed me over the next drop, Thank god I had read my self-rescue book about keeping my feet up and leaning back and going with the flow till after the waves.
The #2 and #4 I made ok a few times just lean forward and paddle like you mean it....... by the way I don't have any kind of roll.

See you all there.