Neoprene repair? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2009   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Neoprene repair?

I got a 1” tear in my spray skirt right where it goes over the lip of my cockpit. I think it probably got pinched when I hit some rocks while running some of the Crystal upside down.

Anyway, anyone have any luck repairing neoprene? If so how did you do it?

GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Its been a while, but a combo of AquaSeal and then the fabric iron on stuff called Iron Mend worked pretty well for me, it was not as good as new, but definitely worked and I still have it as a loaner skirt.

I had to use AquaSeal as well because I could not iron on the bottom, mine was a MtnSurf with rubber rand on the under side, so neoprene up top that I ironed on, and AquaSeal on the bottom - your mileage may vary depending on how your skirt was designed.

McNett Iron Mend

Aquaseal Urethane Repair Adhesive
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3

skirt repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
I got a 1” tear in my spray skirt right where it goes over the lip of my cockpit. I think it probably got pinched when I hit some rocks while running some of the Crystal upside down.

Anyway, anyone have any luck repairing neoprene? If so how did you do it?

The best way to repair this type of damage is to butt glue the tear back together with contact cement, hydrogrip- if they still sell it, or seal cement can be bought in outdoor stores, or general hardware store contact cement in a pinch. Then use Aquaseal or goop to reinforce the repair on the inside by spreading a thin layer over the tear and at least 0.25” onto the good material around the tear as a patch. for more extensive tears over the cockpit rim, put the skirt on the cockpit and reinforce on the outside with aquaseal. Use latex gloves or cover your fingertip with plastic wrap and use it to spread the nasty sticky stuff. Make it a thin layer and fair it out to nothing to prevent new tears from propagating from the edge of the repair.
This method can also be used to do virtually invisible repairs on drytops etc. by taping the tear together on the outside turning the tear good side down and applying aquaseal in the same way.
Remove the tape after 6-8 hrs and the more careful you were with the tape the better the repair will look.

Good luck and happy paddling..

John mason
Mountain Surf
surfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009   #4

In our dry climate, aquaseal can be slow to cure (water catalyzes the reaction). If we're in a string of days with single-digit humidity, you may wish to either put everything in a bag or box with a wet rag, or buy some of the aquaseal accelerant to speed up the cure. I've done this with shoes for a bombproof repair overnight.
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Sew it. Then aquaseal it. I have a 7 or 8 inch tear in a mountain surf skirt on the deck at the edge. It's held up fine since. Regular thread, 3 times across will do it justice.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote