Need Tips!! IK Kayaker - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-19-2018   #31

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
This is a picture of what I have. It sounds like you are going to run the same setup.

I wanted to put the foot pegs in my boat. I even took the boat to Aire. I live right next to their factory. The manager of their repair shop steered me into the 7 inch thwart instead.

It’s really solid. It’s so solid, escaping in a flip seemed like it was going to be really hard. Until I flipped. Then you just straighten your legs and out you go. If you don’t straighten them, there you stay. Click image for larger version

Name:	023DD53B-88D0-4A0D-966A-48B500D4226D_1542681063755.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	32463

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
This is a picture of what I have. It sounds like you are going to run the same setup.

I wanted to put the foot pegs in my boat. I even took the boat to Aire. I live right next to their factory. The manager of their repair shop steered me into the 7 inch thwart instead.

It’s really solid. It’s so solid, escaping in a flip seemed like it was going to be really hard. Until I flipped. Then you just straighten your legs and out you go. If you don’t straighten them, there you stay. Attachment 32463

Yes same setup. Is that a Lynx or outfitter ??
Anton8100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
I donít see how leaning toward helps. But I will try I guess. ??

If you lean forward it will often times help the boat to punch through the wave or hole and not surf you in the direction that you do not want to go.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018   #34

Seattle, Washington
Haven't seen that video in a long while. It looks so fun with all our swims edited out. Thanks for the trip down the memory rabbit hole.

I don't think anyone is intentionally leaning back. The move you are talking about is a boof, and it is harder to boof an IK than a kayak.

The idea is to carry momentum past the lip of the drop, and keep your bow up. At the lip, this can look like leaning back, but that's just because you are at the end of your boof stroke and using your abs to lift your bow.

If you do it right, you do indeed want to get weight forward again -- big crunch. Land with an active blade if you can, you almost always need it.

The idea is to avoid penciling in, where the boat goes vertical or past vertical. And then get downstream of the impact of the falling water into soft but flushing water.

I prefer running ledges and falls in boats with smaller tube diameter in the bow. A Stiletto resurfaces in a more balanced way than a Lynx, mostly because the Lynx quickly engages maximum flotation. Smaller tapered bow and stern tubes put less flotation out there and so there's less force coming from the extremities of the boat when resurfacing. You lose some agility in tight techy water though.

As I think that video of mine shows, ledges in the 10-foot range are relatively friendly. Over 20-25', though, it 's very difficult to land a falls in an IK unless it has some positive angle or autoboof flake or other feature to help you out.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018   #35

You're getting a lot of good advice, but it sounds to me like you need to focus on the basics. Most notably this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Have you tried T-ing up to the waves?
Try and hit the waves at a 90 degree angle. IKs are super survivable if you hit everything straight on, but if you get turned sideways they'll flip pretty easily. Also, you will generally want to be actively paddling. That will give you some downstream momentum, and each paddle stroke will act as a mini-brace. As you get better you won't need this so much, but it helps when you're a beginner.

A wider boat with bigger tubes will let you get away with sloppier lines and technique, but there's no reason you can't do class IV in the boat you bought. A different boat might make it less frustrating to learn though.

I don't know Bull's sluice, but I just watched a couple videos. It looks like it's basically one drop? The left line looks pretty straightforward - just hit it straight. The right line looks a little trickier, but I'd probably try and hit the drop with a bit of right angle and momentum and be ready with either a paddle stroke on the left to counter the water pushing you to the left or with a brace on the right and let it turn you. If it's really kicking your ass, I'd just walk it until you get better. Someone suggested watching other people's lines and mimicking the best ones. That's good advice.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy View Post
You're getting a lot of good advice, but it sounds to me like you need to focus on the basics. Most notably this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Have you tried T-ing up to the waves?
Try and hit the waves at a 90 degree angle. IKs are super survivable if you hit everything straight on, but if you get turned sideways they'll flip pretty easily. Also, you will generally want to be actively paddling. That will give you some downstream momentum, and each paddle stroke will act as a mini-brace. As you get better you won't need this so much, but it helps when you're a beginner.

A wider boat with bigger tubes will let you get away with sloppier lines and technique, but there's no reason you can't do class IV in the boat you bought. A different boat might make it less frustrating to learn though.

I don't know Bull's sluice, but I just watched a couple videos. It looks like it's basically one drop? The left line looks pretty straightforward - just hit it straight. The right line looks a little trickier, but I'd probably try and hit the drop with a bit of right angle and momentum and be ready with either a paddle stroke on the left to counter the water pushing you to the left or with a brace on the right and let it turn you. If it's really kicking your ass, I'd just walk it until you get better. Someone suggested watching other people's lines and mimicking the best ones. That's good advice.

Great advice everyone. Yes bigger tubes were much easier. The star Ik I did not flip once. I kinda just bounced around lol. Lynx is harder I’m guessing Bc it’s much smaller tubes. I guess lynx comes close to a Hardhell the way it acts so it actually requires skill. The Star IK is very forgivable. It takes allot to flip it!
The lynx is very rocky. Can I use that to my advantage??
Old 11-21-2018   #37

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
The lynx is very rocky. Can I use that to my advantage??
The Lynx definitely has some advantages. It's shorter than many boats, making it more agile. I think it is a superb low water boat because it does not sit very deep in the water. It's a pretty good high water boat too, with high volume bow/stern. It is a great self-support gear hauling boat.

The lynx is kinda of a tweener boat IMO though. Something like a Sotar, with its flat hull and highly rockered tubes is going to pivot, surf, and eddy turn quicker. Something like an Outfitter with bigger tubes will feel more stable.

The Lynx is fairly middle of the road in terms of both rocker and tube size. It's a traditional river-running boat, not a creek boat or a play boat.

You just need time in the boat to know how it likes you to use your body and blade to control it. There's no shortcut to that. And swimming is just part of the deal so it's important to keep that skill sharp.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018   #38

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The smaller tubed Lynx is probably just less forgiving of being off-balance. Make sure you are balanced front to rear in flat water. Maybe just a little down in front.

If you are too far back, the waves will smack you around. Too far forward and you will be swamped too much of the time and lose maneuverability.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018   #39

Thanks again for all advice.

My buddies that went with me did tell me that it seemed like I was to close to the front of my boat. So I did move my seat one loop back.

Like I stated previously the lynx actually requires skill or you will be in the water. I tried big tube IK and they are super forgiving trust me 🙂. I like the challenge.
Old 11-24-2018   #40

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am a many decades long hard shell kayaker. Due to a accident Doctors advise no more hard shell kayaks. So I got some IK's.

Closest thing I have found to a hardshell is the Thrillseeker. Paddles a lot like a hard shell and surfs really well. Glad I got mine.

I also have a Aire Outfitter. Nice and comfy with the big tubes. Not as nimble as the Thrillseeker but just floats over most of the gnar.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote