Need Tips!! IK Kayaker - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2018   #21

Upstate, South Carolina
Yes. I typically do section 3 on the chattooga. Section 3 has a lot of class 3 and the end has a class 4. I will take out earlier or avoid the huge hole on the section 4 and run the Virginia line. I think that what’s it’s called. It is just hard to stay in line to hit it. The hole sucks you in and throws you out of the Virginia line. Any points on staying on correct line??

Anton8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018   #22

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Buy twice, cry twice. I’m like you, my first IK was a Lynx too. I bought it even though Sarah at Aire tried to steer me into an Outfitter. She said she had an Outfitter and loved it. I was worried the Lynx would be sportier and maneuver better. She said there was no difference in her experience. I should have listened to her.

After paddling the Lynx one season and tipping a lot, I went and bought an Outfitter. The Outfitter has wider tubes and the floor sits lower than the Lynx. It’s definitely more stable. A lot of time we’ll bring both IK’s along for people to use while rafting. People definitely swim more in the Lynx.

I wouldn’t buy the foot pegs or alter your boat. Aire sells a foot rest thwart that is about the size of a football. It works really well when used with the leg straps.

Also, I prefer is to use an inflatable thwart instead of the seat that comes with the IK. It was impossible to brace against it. It would recline all the time. I tried the Cheetah seat and it wasn’t much better. Aire’s inflatable IK thwart let’s you sit on the floor of the boat, lowering your center of gravity an inch or two. That will help with stability. Best of all it blows up hard and lets you brace against it really well. On flat water I like to sit on top of it too.

Lessons can probably help too.

Congratulations on buying the Aire.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018   #23

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpc View Post
I prefer thigh straps to foot pegs or a block in a ducky. You get a lot more side to side control and better bracing imho.
Thigh straps and foot pegs/block is not an "or" thing. Get both. You want your feet to be solid in front, and thigh straps to give you the ability to lift on your edges. I would also say that thigh straps are more important, but you really want both.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018   #24

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
No shame swimming a Class IV+ out of a ducky....with your level of experience that borders on foolhardy to even attempt...Stars are no beefier than a Lynx ( as far as I know) so it must be more increased difficulty that tripped you up.....excellent advice here ,find a nearby playspot that has good eddy service to practice in ....ideally it has semi retentive shoulders to toy around on as you get acclimated and a slightly intimidating 'meat' center that you can work up the nerve to jump in...staying up right will make you much more comfortable in rapids- getting spanked will give you practice self rescuing in turbulent water-initiating moves and doing what you want will radically increase confidence.....play small features through new runs...progress from easy to hard..play and work the he'll out of easy runs....

Still the two best books after decades..had both since the 90's....love the sections on understanding what the river is doing and why...

don't know about the foot thwart but prefer the adjustable foot pegs to foam blocks ....The pegs increase control because they are solid.Foam is too squishy and gives way too much.I get the desirability of displacement in the bow,use a small drybag,kayak floatbag,or foam in front of the pegs.For travel compactness you can remove the pegs tracks,kind of a pain.An old post talked about cutting them down so you can roll up the boat tighter.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018   #25

Upstate, South Carolina
Yes I actually purchased the small 7” thwrat and gonna use it as a foot peg. I read great reviews about using that as foot peg. I use the 12” thwrat as back rest and it’s very comfortable. I think I wiped out so bad Bc I did not lean back while I was dropping in the huge hole. I see allot of videos of people leaning back as they drop 5ft+. I leaned foward if remember correctly. It’s ok. And I’m grateful for having active feedback. Don’t worry about hurting my feelings I just want to learn so I will take any advice !! I love white water kayaking. I was loaded too in the back.Mayb 50lbs of camping gear. also i had beer in the front of the boat. I hear the outfitter has bigger tubes and a little bit more wider so I might buy that if I keep wiping out.

I will try with the 7” thwrat as foot peg in the spring. I will see how I do. Class 4+ don’t scare me ! I just don’t want to flip in one again. The swim was not fun. I drank a crap load of water while I surfaced up 20ft down the river. Just a scary moment. I remember while I was underwater That my face was like 5” away from a huge boulder !!! I mean huge !! I def do not want to to flip at bulls again. But if I do I’ll keep trying to master the hole.

Bulls on sections 3 class 4+ rapid seems easier with higher water lvls Bc the drop isn’t so bad.
Old 11-18-2018   #26

Not sure what a thwrat is but hopefully it works as good as thwart!
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018   #27

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
I think I wiped out so bad Bc I did not lean back while I was dropping in the huge hole. I see allot of videos of people leaning back as they drop 5ft+. I leaned foward if remember correctly. Itís ok. And Iím grateful for having active feedback. Donít worry about hurting my feelings I just want to learn so I will take any advice !!
You did the right thing, which is very rare for a new kayaker.

As a general rule, leaning forward is what you want to do, especially when going in a hole (you'll get stern squirted if you lean back) or going off a ledge (it keeps the bow up and protects your back). Just be careful not to land flat off a drop over 5 feet. If you are about to, stomp your feet down to drop the bow.
Old 11-18-2018   #28

Upstate, South Carolina
I watch the video as a motivator and I notice they all lean back on big drops.

Correct if I’m wrong
Old 11-19-2018   #29

Sacramento, California
Their form is not one to mimic. Actually, that is the old school way, way back when people first started doing waterfalls. Technique has advanced since then, and people lean forward now.
Old 11-19-2018   #30

Upstate, South Carolina
I don’t see how leaning toward helps. But I will try I guess. ??