Need Tips!! IK Kayaker - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-14-2018   #11

Upstate, South Carolina
I’m new so sorry for asking dumb questions ahead of time. What do you mean play in holes?

Anton8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018   #12

Upstate, South Carolina
Explain the foam for feet pegs please. I am aware that Aire sells a inflatable foot peg. Should I buy that?
Old 11-14-2018   #13

Upstate, South Carolina
https://www.aire.com/accessories/inf...race-seat.html

Any comments on buying that style of foot peg??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018   #14

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton8100 View Post
https://www.aire.com/accessories/inf...race-seat.html

Any comments on buying that style of foot peg??
The inflatable thwart is a good option, and should work with no modifications on the Lynx. Will pack up smaller than the foam block, if that matters.

When I make foam foot blocks, I shape a 4x12x24 block of minicell. 4x12x24 closed cell foam - $22.00 : Kayak Outfitting, Kayak foam and outfitting accessories

I prefer foam mostly just because I can completely fill the bow, keeping it dry and light.

I have never paddled the Star IK, so can't comment on it vs other boats.

Lots of good advice so far about surfing, running hard lines in known rapids, and working on running larger holes.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Iím new so sorry for asking dumb questions ahead of time. What do you mean play in holes?
No offense, but you are probably not ready for class IV if you don't understand holes or playing in them!!!

This book is a fantastic resource, not only for kayaking, but for reading water and understanding why and how whitewater behaves the way it does:
https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Animate.../dp/B002FL5EG2

No two holes are alike. You don't have to avoid all of them. Some are ugly and to be avoided at all cost. Some will eat your lunch, give you back change, but let you live. Some are actually quite friendly.

Some of the best surfing is in smallish holes that are not quite a fully developed hole, yet no longer a wave. There's a small foam pile on top, they're slightly retentive, but they will let you out if you start having a bad time.

Being able to read holes, waves, eddies, etc...on Class III will be a huge asset when you move up to Class IV.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018   #16

Seattle, Washington
^ great post MT4R.

there's also the classic https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Infl...dp/0070054282/
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018   #17

Upstate, South Carolina
I’ve heard of playing don’t get me wrong and seen much videos but don’t see people doing it in IK. Thank go advice guys
Old 11-14-2018   #18

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Quote:
I’m new so sorry for asking dumb questions ahead of time. What do you mean play in holes?
No offense, but you are probably not ready for class IV if you don't understand holes or playing in them!!!

This book is a fantastic resource, not only for kayaking, but for reading water and understanding why and how whitewater behaves the way it does:
https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Animate.../dp/B002FL5EG2

No two holes are alike. You don't have to avoid all of them. Some are ugly and to be avoided at all cost. Some will eat your lunch, give you back change, but let you live. Some are actually quite friendly.

Some of the best surfing is in smallish holes that are not quite a fully developed hole, yet no longer a wave. There's a small foam pile on top, they're slightly retentive, but they will let you out if you start having a bad time.

Being able to read holes, waves, eddies, etc...on Class III will be a huge asset when you move up to Class IV.

I bought both books that were recommended thank you for your help
Old 11-15-2018   #19

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
I prefer thigh straps to foot pegs or a block in a ducky. You get a lot more side to side control and better bracing imho.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018   #20

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
I bought both books that were recommended thank you for your help

That's awesome.

If you can find some locals to run III with you, that would also help.

If you ever find yourself in NW Montana, look me up.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote