Need kid gear and advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2018   #1

frisco, Colorado
Need kid gear and advice

Hey guys, our 10 year old just finished kayak camp. I need to buy gear for him. He is small for age, 60#, 4'4". He is getting a Fun1 next week. He needs a paddle, drytop, farmer john, booties, etc. I don't know what paddle he should use. It sounds like he used a werner that was shorter than stock form at the camp. Any ideas or advice? I'd love to find used gear anyone has laying around. Small gear is a new territory for me. Thanks so much!!

Jim 828-337-4508

warlickone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Start hitting gear swaps, and watch craigslist/FB marketplace religiously.

Try 'murica's river gear swap' group on FB.

When my girls were that age, I bought a LOT of gear that was too big when I found a deal on it, knowing they'd grow into it. Now they're 5-7 and 5-8 and just steal my wife's gear!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I bought a LOT of gear that was too big when I found a deal on it, knowing they'd grow into it. Now they're 5-7 and 5-8 and just steal my wife's gear!
Ha , Same. But the little beggers are stealing my gear
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2018   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
PM sent.
Old 08-06-2018   #5
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
My son is 11 and is on the creeks a lot with me. Drytop: they won't like teh constriction of teh neck gasket, but will thank you when the take a swim or roll, and stay dry. A semi-dry top, they will get water leakage through the neck area and will get cold. It's worth spending a little extra for positive experience.
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I thought this was humorous and sage advice in another thread regarding kids and gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitdown View Post
The best way to keep any of your bags nice and last for a long time, is to not let your KIDS borrow them and my kids are in their late 30's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
This is true for all of my gear. But I loan it to them anyway.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018   #7

Central, Colorado
My son grew out of his Fun 1 last season -- I have a nearly new sprayskirt for it. Let me know via PM if you'd like it. I'm in Salida.

tom.
tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018   #8

The Werner paddle made for kids is the Twist. It has a smaller diameter shaft, is shorter, and has smaller blades. I have one for sale that I used as my primary paddle for a few years. Grown up now I moved to a longer paddle with bigger blades. PM me if you are interested and we can talk about a fair price. The Werner Twist I have for sale is 192 cm long and has all the standard features, like a 30 degree offset and a bent shaft.
FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018   #9

Santa Clara, Соединенные Шта&
We kayak and canoe often with our kids - now 12 yo, 4yo, and 2 1/2 yo. We start around 1 1/2 with no problems.

That said, we are both very confident on the water and in the boats. I don't think that I'd do a kayak trip like that with a child in the boat if I wasn't confident. It's not so much a safety issue, but just an enjoyment issue. It's really, really hard to enjoy the trip if you are struggling to control your kayak. I've seen so many people miserable on those trips because they're focused on just keeping up instead of enjoying to experience. In your shoes, I'd do the motorized trip. I think you'd enjoy it more.
Seniel is offline   Reply With Quote