Need Information on the Futaeufu in Chile - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2012   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Need Information on the Futaeufu in Chile

I am planning on going for my Level V ACA cert with ExChile next winter. I will be on the Futa. I am trying to figure out what to expect. I am more of a big water boater, and have ran about 10 out of 15 miles the North Fork of the Payette at 2300cfs. My plans are to train on that a ton next year, and have some top to bottoms under my belt at good flows. What is the Futa comparable to in the states?

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If you're running the NF payette you will be fine on the Futa. The standout rapids on the Futa are the Infierno Canyon (actually 5 rapids), Zeta, Throne, and Terminator. Zeta is perhaps the most consequential because of very undercut walls. The others are a blast.

Before I spent a winter in Futa I asked a Gauley video boater who had spent a few seasons there what to expect. He said if you're comfortable on the Gauley at 8000 cfs you'll love the Futa. That seems pretty accurate to me.

I never felt like I needed a playboat because the Futa's features are large enough to play in a creeker. Many lines of varying difficulty exist in most rapids. You can take the main lines, sneak lines, or hero lines.
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #3

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Cool. I have only ran the gualey at the fest release flow. But hopefully with another North Fork Season under my belt there will be no surprises.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I will add that the whirlpools, and amount of huge holes and crashing waves on the Futa are hard to find in the states... The hardest parts of the Futa are: Inferno Canyon, The Terminator Section, and Bridge to Bridge. Most people don't run Inferno until below 12,000cfs... I think. Terminator Section is easiest, other than Terminator Rapid, but there is still Asleep at the Wheel, Kieber Pass, and Himalaya. Bridge to Bridge is action packed, and there are plenty of hazards to watch out for. It's the most commonly run section, but is not easy either.

That being said, sections of the Snake River in WY, the Payette, other runs at flood stage, and big water runs in Canada could be compaired to the Futa. It's big, but is also one of the coolest, most beautiful places I've been lucky enough to paddle. Enjoy!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm headed there next month with ExChile. If you're comfortable on the NFP I don't imagine you'll have any issue with the Futa. Though there is a good offering of Class V, I feel rivers like the Gauley and Ottawa are most comparable to what you'll see on the Futa. At least as far as Bridge to Bridge section and Terminator. Inferno Canyon through Throne Room look more consequential but good luck finding anything similar in the States. I'm hoping to lace up and run Inferno but I might opt for a day in a play boat on Bridge to Bridge instead. Either way, incredible river and one hell of a trip.
Paddle_like_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #6

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This clip looks very similar to the Lochsa Falls standing wave.

Not many great videos out there of the entire Fu. You up for getting us Buzzards some good footage? Since I just watched your 2012 boating season compilation, I know you got the tools. What do you say?
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Not many great videos out there of the entire Fu. You up for getting us Buzzards some good footage? Since I just watched your 2012 boating season compilation, I know you got the tools. What do you say?
Actually there is a great video. Have you seen this one?
Kayak Session Video Guide Serie: Rio Futaleufu, Chile
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Video Guide to the entire river =
Old 12-17-2012   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Oops KSC beat me to it.
Old 12-17-2012   #10

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My mistake. How about - There's only a couple good ones out there, but let's see more.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chile